Powered By Blogger

Saturday, July 14, 2018

14. CAMPING OUT IN ROMANS

" For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."  ~ Hebrews 4:12

"But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it."  2 Tim.3:14

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness." 
~2 Tim.3:16 
 (yes, couldn't help dipping outside of Romans)


At the beginning of this venture, I had a negative preconceived idea that eventually once the reading honeymoon was over it would  lead to boredom and loose its appeal.  On the contrary, now after many readings (19), I find it to be totally opposite.  I find myself excited at the prospect of the next reading, savoring the anticipation of the next chapter, the next verse, the next paragraph, the next word.  I guess this is what it means "For the Word Of God is alive and active."  I am only now beginning to deeply comprehend the passion that previous great men in history have had for Romans.  (Martin Luther, John Calvin, John G. Mitchell, my professor, G. Campbell Morgan, John MacArthur)

Like Paul, I find myself emotionally distraught at times. Tearing up at the many times I disappointed my Lord.  Taking and hour out of each day to read the whole book has been quite a feat.
In a way, my spiritual biography, vol. 2 begins here in Romans when I was born again.
  My opening pages of life began in 1949 where I entered the human race in a foreign country with a black defective heart, aka sinful degenerate heart.

Romans 8:5-8
Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment