Powered By Blogger

Saturday, October 10, 2015

THE BEST ROADS ARE DIRT


One late sunny afternoon, I found myself meandering up and down a road less traveled, a logging road above the mountains from the camp my son worked at.
  Intent on showing me the spectacular view, we pressed on, the paved asphalt road gave way to gravel, then to graded dirt, somewhat maintained to a well eroded rutted 2 track trail.  We paused to take in the view of the lake and camp far below, only to continue up, steep mountains on the side.

As the road gave in to ruts and loose stones, we pressed on in his 4Wheel drive Jeep Cherokee, climbing what seemed like boulders and very steep inclines.  I practically begging to go back as the road got worse.  He silently pressed on ignoring my pleas as memories of bone jarring, 2 track trail roads in the outbacks of Mexico in our  4 W. drive Willy’s Jeep and later the Land Rover came to mind.  My body begged to be released from all the movement and thrashing back and forth as I sat in the passenger seat.
Hardly a time to quiet the mind and take it all in.
The road less traveled, the best roads are dirt.  Yep, cause there are tons of natural beauty.
As we rambled along, the beauty was inescapable, every meadow, every wild flower, the blue skies.  It was impressive!
After what seemed like forever, we reached a steep incline that took two running starts to get to the top.
As we reached the summit, we abruptly came to a stop at the edge of an incredible, stunning view of the North Fork of the American River, the end of the road.
I was at awe as I now understood that he wanted me to experience this awesome view.  We did not linger long as the shadows of evening were beginning to descend and I was anxious to get back onto at least the gravel road before it got dark.  The sun was beginning to disappear.

This memory is forever etched in my mind as I think of one of my favorite poems THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED.
Sometimes the Lord leads and guides on roads less traveled to impress upon our minds the majestic view of his character.
My son knew where he was going and what lay ahead in this adventure while I did not.  The further we traveled on this well eroded, rutted what was little semblance of a road began to get me a little worried and anxious and sometimes life is like that.
That bone jarring ride left my body aching for several days but it was well worth every minute of it.
So what started out with “Hey, Mom, you want to go for a ride?”  ended with memories of that incredible view at the top.  “Hey, Son, I’ll see you at the finish line!”

My Rainbow-baby CLICK HERE
A-sadness-creeps-over-me-as-i-watch CLICK HERE
Caught-unprepared-feeling-of-horrible disbelief CLICK HERE
Good-grief, when the unthinkable happens CLICK HERE

4 comments:

  1. " A really good metaphor for living with faith through life's difficulties, knowing that there is a bigger picture." ~~friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. "No death, no matter how tragic and incomprehensible to us, falls outside God’s sovereign control. As the Author of life and the Superintendent of our days, He alone has the right over the number of those days.
    No death is capricious or unremarkable in God’s eyes. Each reminds us of His role as the God of all comfort, and each places on us a responsibility to transfer to others the comfort He provides us.
    Grieving parents are asked, amidst their difficult circumstances, to become comforters-in-training—taking what they learned from the God of all comfort and using it to surround other sorrowing souls with a divine measure of care. Those who suffer young death simply have a longer time to receive God’s care, a more extended training session, and an extended lifetime of helping others in need.
    It’s the job no one volunteers for and no one wants. Yet it is most noble. Because life is what it is and because God’s plan calls for people to carry out some of the Heavenly Father’s most honored tasks, those who have lost children are equipped in God’s school of comfort-giving to pass along their lessons to those who follow their trail of tears." Dave Branon

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5 YEARS AGO TODAY I had the privilege of that adventurous day. One I will NEVER forget. Face book likes to keep track of memories.

    Thu, Aug 4, 2011
    Rebecca Schoof
    August 4, 2011 at 9:03pm ·

    Memories, memories, memories of Mexico. I just got back from bone jarring ride up the mtn. to see the lake from another vantage & the other side of the mtn. The road got rougher, had rocks in it and it went on forever. I kept telling my son that I had had enough & he kept going and it got even worse. Finally we turned around only to repeat to get back in the dark.
    5 Comments
    11
    Comments
    Rebecca Schoof
    Rebecca Schoof What an adventure. I hope I don't have nightmares tonight.
    August 4, 2011 at 9:04pm · Like
    Sonya Peace
    Sonya Peace Matt better take it easy on his Mom :) Rest easy, Becky. If the bed gets too shakey you may have to sleep on the floor.

    August 4, 2011 at 9:22pm · Like
    Janni Smith Salés
    Janni Smith Salés Sounds adventuresome but jolting. Hope you sleep real well.
    August 4, 2011 at 10:11pm · Like

    Rebecca Schoof
    Rebecca Schoof Thanks, I slept very well, woke up at 5am, laid for awhile just enjoying the quiet and luxury of having the use of my own shower,toilet, and sink without having to wait.
    August 5, 2011 at 9:34am · Like
    Loren D. Ediger
    Loren D. Ediger Sounds like heaven compared to over here.
    August 5, 2011 at 9:59am ·

    ReplyDelete
  4. “Remember what it was that you loved most about those you have lost,” said Bear, “and be that. Keep those memories alive.”

    ReplyDelete