Powered By Blogger

Sunday, October 2, 2016

THE CALLING

Great Trials Often Accompany Great Blessings.

Mark 10:29–30

29 Jesus said, “Truly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or lands, for my sake and for the gospel, 30 who will not receive a hundredfold now in this time, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions, and in the age to come eternal life."  ~


Pop and Mom Ediger were thrilled at the prospect of their son heading off to Mexico, although a little apprehensive, they sent him off with the spirit of prayer and  supplication, as well as a supportive family.
This family support continues to this day.
"Paul was always in awe that God called him into the ministry. He continually reiterates the truth of his ministry because it was such a thrill to him. So, it was more than just a defense of his rights as an Apostle, it was also something that was exciting to him."  ~GTY 

As the apostles, prophets throughout the Old Testament, there weren't any self-styled, self-appointed prophets.  Like Dad they were all called of God.


 In 1 Timothy 1:12 Paul says, "And I thank Christ Jesus, our Lord, who hath enabled me, in that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry." Paul says, "I'm here because He put me here!"  

Finney as many other saints of the past had power. Not necessarily "powerful preaching" or "vibrant messages;" he had the power of God! To what did Finney ascribe this power; what did he claim was the key to its avail? Let him answer,
 "In regard to my own experience, I will say that unless I had the spirit of prayer I could do nothing. If I lost the spirit of grace and supplication even for a day or an hour I found myself unable to preach with power and efficiency, or to win souls by personal conversation."CHARLES FINNEY
God prepared Dad before launching into his calling.
God always seems to use the past to contribute to ones work in the call.
 

Photo taken just prior to Mexico departure, with a family committed to pray & support






Missionary stories that influenced decisions

Often times I misjudged Dad as I now see an elderly man with a strong personality.   Maybe I, as a younger generation, have been so consumed with myself that I have forgotten the legacy from which I have come. I did not understand the courage and perseverance behind his choices…because I never really thought about his choices.
 I failed to see a father who had lived an extraordinary life with a tad of reckless abandon.
I just didn’t know until that day he was dropped off on our door step to what has now expanded to be several years now.
I found his boxes of journals,his photos,the momentos, and newspaper clippings, the passions of his heart fascinating. His travels to Mexico and back.
He was also somewhat of a writer.   He was a passionate reader and still is as his eye sight permits.
 I am sorry I didn’t get to know him better earlier on in life.
He made many tough choices and great sacrifices. Would he have changed any of it? Perhaps.
He appeared to be invincible, amazing, stunning and just as independent and unique to my youthful eyes.
 He attracted everyone with his good looks and everyone admired him for his unshakable strength of character strong yet humble personality.   
An excerpt from a letter from one of Dad's cousins



"People who do not know the Lord ask why in the world we waste our lives as missionaries. They forget that they too are expending their lives ... and when the bubble has burst, they will have nothing of eternal significance to show for the years they have wasted." — Nate Saint, missionary martyr [ devotional thoughts ]



DAD'S TREKS  Interactive map showing the environs in and around.

No comments:

Post a Comment