Powered By Blogger

Friday, June 29, 2018

7. CAMPING OUT IN ROMANS

Charles Spurgeon has said:
 "Visit many good books, but live in the Bible."
 He also said, Nobody ever outgrows Scripture. The Book widens and deepens with our years."


I have been a Bible reader most of my believing life and it would be presumptuous of me to tell you how best to read it.  Some years I have failed to do anything consistent.

I find myself thinking much about reading this morning.  I have always been an avid reader and collector of books, however, in the past year find myself with some declining sight.  I have found death to some of my beloved books and can't find myself time to invest and focus on them.
Not to sound Pharisaic or self-congratulatory I expect to have regular contact with the book of Romans for now.
I have tenaciously been working my way through it.  Each time I soak it in or re-read it, my understanding of it increases, hoping to continue to receive much benefit.  I am scheduling another time for a more exhaustive study.

I highly recommend immersion and saturation sparing the use of such tools as commentaries and devotionals.  In other words, I am saying read it!  Re-read it!  Read it in large chunks or read the whole book in one sitting.  It takes an hour to read all 16 chapters in Romans.

Romans is all about a makeover of the soul.  Justification is a long and loaded word but through faith, God frees us from our past, secures our future and initiates growth.
  ("It is, a legal declaration in which God pardons the sinner of all his sins and accepts and accounts the sinner as righteous in His sight.")

  Hoping and praying that God's Word will echo in my brain no matter where it might wander.

"Sporadic and haphazard dipping into Scriptures is not enough." ~John Stott




 

No comments:

Post a Comment