Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, June 15, 2022

QUEEN OF CALIFORNIA

Because of the warmer weather, I have had to restructure my mornings and go out earlier. 

Matilija Poppy
This morning I set out intending to go one way, however, I was drawn up the street in the opposite direction of that intended decision to Teesdale Ave.  

On a previous walk up this street, I had seen this large white flower that I wanted to revisit and get a closer look.  When I reached that intended spot, I found that a lady (Liz) was out feeding the neighborhood stray cats.  She was laying out several large paper plates full of cat delectables.

We got to chatting about various things and I complimented her on the flowers in front of her house.  She was very knowledgeable of flowers and plants native to SoCal.  I asked her if I could get up close to take some photos. 

I have really enjoyed stopping to chat with people and find that those interested in plants & flowers, those who have cats, and those walking their dogs appear to be the friendliest.


Liz told me those large white flowers were Matilija Poppies.  This is the only spot I have seen them in all my walks.  Each time I go on these walks, I try to find something that I have not noticed before and of course I am not disappointed because as the seasons with in the seasons change so are my finds. 

 I think God has this planned so we don’t get bored with the same things and is a way to nourish our souls, showing his presence through the beauty of those created beauties.




 



Matilija Poppy

Matilija (mah-ta-LEE-ha) was the name of a Chumash chief in Ventura County. Canyons and creeks were named in his honor, as was this majestic flower.

ROYALTY

Among California native plant admirers, this poppy is known as the "Queen of California."


No comments:

Post a Comment