Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

16 CAMPING OUT IN ROMANS

“I am sure it is God’s Gospel; for nobody could have invented it. A plan so just to God, so safe to man; and I am all the more sure it is God’s Gospel because there are many that hate it”. ~Spurgeon


 "The law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith." Galatians 3:24 nkjv
(I know, I know, just stepped out of Romans, but...)

Reading the book of Romans in one sitting has it's advantages.  For me it has heightened alertness to reoccurring words and phrases.  After spending many days, daily reading/audio reading, theme and segments have emerged as I have explored its riches.
  The encounter with my soul has been deep.  I have greatly longed to understand this book.  The depth I found was in just reading it over and over again.
(today 23)
  In my 68 years of life, I had studied the book in College, have listened to many sermons, lectures, and read books on it but the impact of just reading has greatly contributed by far my understanding the most.
By way of observation, there are 78 occurrences of the word LAW and 60 of the word SIN.  I noticed a concentration of the word SIN in chapters 5,6,7,8 so I underlined each of those words.
 In the seemingly ordinary act of reading the Bible, something miraculous happens: we are given eyes to discover the glory of the living God.  There is something intimate, an emotional feeling about holding that Bible, that leather-bound book in my hands.  I am able to underline and scribble insights to measure my spiritual experiences.
Who knows perhaps my children and grandchildren will read my chicken scratches and semi-legible notes sometime in the future. 

 "In that book I say that Christians should not let a single day go by without Bible intake (reading or listening) and prayer. These are like two legs on which we walk to make progress in the journey of Christian growth in Christ likeness." (quote from Dr.Andrew M.Davis book, An Infinite Journey:Growing Toward Christ Likeness.)

There is much to say about reading God's Word in Romans.  I have found the following observations during this time:
  1. Because I love God, I found I delight in his Word.
  2. In getting to know God, I found myself better prepared to enjoy my reading.
  3. I have attempted to make it a spiritual priority to read.
  4. I did not begin just for the intellectual exercise.  What I read is what I hear from God.
  1. I read to get a better grasp the will of God so I can believe it and obey it.
  2. I have found that I needed to spend sufficient time to devote to such a venture.
  3. I read for the spiritual benefits from the Lord.
  4. I have received incredible residual  benefits by visiting the same book over and over again.
  5. Some of those verses begin to jump out of me at the oddest times. 
What started out as wonder is awesome!
The wonder drove me on.
The excitement of not knowing where Camping Out In Romans would lead.  The unknown and marvel of discovery brought the book of Romans alive to me.
I will continue to pursue the wonders that Romans will reveal, however, this will be my last post to conclude, CAMPING OUT IN ROMANS.  Perhaps in the future I will post concerning my future finds in Romans.
By no means will I be ending this venture.  I intend to keep on reading.  My goal is to reach 50 Lord willing.
It is my hope that others will catch some of the excitement and affinity toward Scripture reading re reading.

I finally captured a photo of my little songster high up in the orange tree.
  His songs are not as frequent as before but his persistence cheered me on.  You can barely see him, top of orange tree branch,middle left, just below the wire, but that was his tree and his spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment