Powered By Blogger

Friday, April 20, 2018

MY ENCOUNTER WITH HUMILITY

Humility is a very interesting concept.  It is not cherished and is often mistaken for weakness.

Who wants to admit that they are not the most important.


 “It’s not thinking less of yourself, it’s thinking of yourself less.” ~C.S.Lewis

It is a conscious effort to NOT think about myself or else I will think about myself. Humility does not come easy, I have to work at it and it does not just happen by osmosis.
Humility is asking God to direct my thinking and asking for help over and over again.

Andrew Murray wrote about this phenomenon in his classic book Humility: The Beauty of Holiness.


“Every Christian virtually passes through these two stages in his pursuit of humility. In the first he fears and flees and seeks deliverance from all that can humble him … He prays for humility, at times very earnestly; but in his secret heart he prays more, if not in word, then in wish, to be kept from the very things that will make him humble.”


Recently, I shared with a friend my tendency toward  anxiety assaults.  She offered me the standard advice, I have received numerous times from various concerned friends.  I seriously doubted whether any really understood what it was like unless they have had any themselves.  The Scripture pills were not working for me.  I wanted to scream, “Been there, done that!
But what I was not aware of was the connection between humility and those attacks.  I can’t cast my cares on him until I have recognized God as God and his role in my life. ( I recall many times our pastor saying something like this: “What is the therefore there for?”)

 
“Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.” (1 Peter 5:6-7)

I am hoping to develop a more humble mindset.




.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it wonderful when you finally 'get' a scripture that you have read over and over again?

    ReplyDelete