Powered By Blogger

Friday, October 28, 2016

ROSES & THORNS


“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.” ~ Abe Lincoln

 

"Without the thorns, the roses wouldn't last very long. So, you guessed it. The thorns on roses are a defense mechanism to keep them from being harmed." 

 

The Thorn

I stood a mendicant of God before His royal throne
And begged him for one priceless gift, which I could call my own.
I took the gift from out His hand, but as I would depart
I cried, “But Lord this is a thorn and it has pierced my heart.
This is a strange, a hurtful gift, which Thou hast given me.”
He said, “My child, I give good gifts and gave My best to thee.”
I took it home and though at first the cruel thorn hurt sore,
As long years passed I learned at last to love it more and more.
I learned He never gives a thorn without this added grace,
He takes the thorn to pin aside the veil which hides His face.


by Martha Snell Nicholson

  And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.  2 Corinthians 12:7-10
A Thorn Among Roses (Becky 3rd far rt.) 1973



 “He picked up one of Lorna's roses and set it in my lap. "Here." I picked it up and smelled it. He poked me in the shoulder. "See what I mean? Thorns don't stop you from sniffing. Or putting them in a vase on the kitchen table. You work around them.... Cause the rose is worth it... Think what you'd miss.” ~Charles Martin, Chasing Fireflies: A Novel of Discovery



 Another yet short fleeting immature relationship!  One of my mess-ups.
  I surprise myself in going over my journal at the amount of wasted time and youthful energy fantasizing and focusing on love relationships. How strong, the urge to marry in my 20 somethings. With all the other girls gone, the ratio was reversed.
"El Barrill"  (aka missionary barrel)

My future husband had busied himself with a college course in another state.  With him gone the pool was still strong.  We all had a blast, eating together, going to church together, working together, playing together, and looking together at possibilities.
Pressing Records

My future husband returned from his studies and the games began.

  I again pursued life with a renewed spirit, never expecting him to be my future husband and spend the next twenty three years of my life in some of the most exciting, the most financially lean, challenging, new experiences as home missionaries with Gospel Recordings.
My apt. on Witmer St.


Witmer St. from my apt. window

At Urbana (6mo. with child)




Life was not always rosy.  Lest you conclude that my husband is the thorn, I leave that for you to decide, however, it has been more than a thorny life but smelling and looking at the roses is well worth it.






At Urbana Conference with Joy Ridderhoff (Left blue coat)
THE JOY OF JOY RIDDERHOFF  Click here

No comments:

Post a Comment