Powered By Blogger

Sunday, May 17, 2015

MY MOTHER'S NOTE BOOK: A Quiet Reverie

A Quiet Reverie

Seasons of life come and go.  I often find myself in a quiet reverie, reflecting on past countless blessings.
I marvel at the ways God has led me.
I find signs of godliness and commitment to God on both sides of my heritage, traced back to several generations.
Every significant life event has shaped my perspective in life.
Each season has brought about something exciting, fresh challenges.  Time has gone by so quickly.  I owe every “work of mercy” to the hands of God.
“Lord thou hast wrought all our works in, or for, us.”  Isa. 26:12
I am often drawn towards the words of the Puritans and enjoy many of their works.
Borrowing from Richard Baxter as to a good reason to recall and blog about past memories:
“If thou be a Christian indeed,I know thou hast, if not in thy book, yet certainly in thy heart, a great many precious favors upon record.  The very remembrance and rehearsal of them is sweet.  How much more sweet was the actual enjoyment.”

Struck with the prospect of growing older and retirement looming around the corner I feel an urgency to record past blessings.

Somewhere along life’s continuum, my mother was struck with the prospects of growing older too.  I gather this thought as I continue to find copious poems penned in her Bible relating to such seasons.
Upon further investigation, I found a piece of paper all rumpled up in the bottom of the front pocket of her Bible.  With these words penned by Amy Carmichael, one of my favorite poets and authors, that "Expresses The Joy Of Growing Older":
My Mother's Bible

“Gone they tell me, is youth,
 Gone is the strength of my life,
 Nothing remains but decline,
 Nothing but age and decay.

 Not so, I’m God’s little child,
 Only beginning to live,
 Coming the days of my prime,
 Coming the vision of God,
 Coming my bloom and my power.”

Seasons come and most of them go.  How are you treasuring up those memories of God’s providence in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment