Powered By Blogger

Friday, August 6, 2021

THE NOSEY NEIGHBOR~Porch sitting & more Mellenthin

MELLENTHIN HOMES
WHILE WE WAIT AND WAIT ~June 13,2020
“I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
— J.R.R. Tolkien

My muscles moaned audibly and exhaustion crept into my walk before I was ready. I forced my eyes open a bit wider and took a deep breath
The day stretched before me as I looked ahead with the rattling of chaotic thoughts.
Beauty is still there. Joy is still there. Love is still there.
I am encouraged by things I cherish. The magical power of a cup of coffee.
The crispness of the morning stared me in the face. What will I remember of the sparkling wonder of this crazy life?
I want to remember the boldness of the sun’s daily greeting unless June Gloom interferes. I want to remember how the trees sing and call out sending bird chirps and rejoicing, the call to wake a weary soul.

An occasional passerby lights their beaming eyes under the mask with a hand greeting.
The one thing I have cherished the most these days is that the most valuable thing in my life can not be taken away ever. It is the presence of the Holy Spirit and wisdom of God’s Word and His sustained strength.
We are more alive than ever!
“For I am convinced
that neither death nor life,
neither angels nor demons,
neither the present
nor the future,
nor any powers,
neither height nor depth,
nor anything else in all creation,
will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Romans 8:38,39
God has touched everything. The breathtaking beauty and lusciousness of silence surround me. Photo walkings give me some sort of control. I can either focus on the circumstances or focus on words in Scripture and the unchanging nature of God.
In spite of all the chaotic events around, I find myself enchanted by the neighborhood around me. Within a six block radius, I came across several more Mellenthin homes. I find the frequently featured birdhouses detailing above the garages with dovecotes (holes for birds to nest in), and diamond pane windows very intriguing.
I prefer to go on my photo walks in the early morning when all the porch people are still sleeping.
Porch sitting is another social activity I enjoy.
It helps contribute to a lively atmosphere, for those sitting and also those passing by. This neighborhood phenomenon occurs during afternoon walks.
There has been a shift to porch sitting.
Lately, amid this global pandemic, front porches, balconies, and patios everywhere are being used again.
We are playing instruments and singing songs in the open air of our front stoops.
Car caravans are driving by with signs as we stand outside to let us know we’re not alone when we celebrate special occasions isolated from our friends and families.
The front porch used to be an iconic feature in American homes.
The most prominent feature of homes now is the garage. The front porch sitters have joined those who are garage sitters.
I have noticed also many used front spaces where people have started living there. Sofas out in the front gardens. People appear to be enjoying the outside of their homes.
I have good memories of sitting on the porch in Mexico, reading the latest book or embroidering. Mail and care packages were a big deal then. News traveled via mail as there were no phones.
Porches were a necessity before air conditioning.
Porches functioned as an important "transitional space between the private world of the family and the public realm of the street,"
Now that we have recovered the lost art of porch sitting, we need to recover the lost art of dressing up.
Important events happen on the porch. They connect us to others.
Who could predict that we would return to a habit of sitting outside.
DID YOU KNOW?
The Porch Sitters Union was formed to celebrate the fine art of Porch sitting.
The Porch is a magical place where you are transported to a better state of mind and memories are born.
As I walk, I contemplate on the origin of street names. The streets kind of serve as a map through the past.
Do you know the difference between and Avenue and a street, or loop or lane? Or a Way? A drive or a parkway?
Did you know that they are classified by width?
No, neither did I. I have been walking the Streets and Avenues.
GROUNDED AND GRATEFUL

No comments:

Post a Comment