Powered By Blogger

Saturday, October 13, 2018

OPALS OR DIAMONDS?

"On a scale of one to ten an opal is easily the hardest gemstone to try and value. An opal has an infinite number of variables including color, pattern, brightness and origin."

So--Your here today.  I'm here today and rain is so conducive to writing.  Yes, we have had a rare occasion of rain.  So let's enjoy this little chat.
When I began to blog, I seriously did not envision all the aspects of my life that could be blogged about.
Opal always tries to drag Earl to the fabric store

I have four brothers.  I have a special affinity towards one who continues to mine the depths of our shared ordinariness of life as MK's in Mexico.   He has encouraged me to observe more closely the delightful humorous details of life.

The fact is that God blesses us with numerous humorous events.  What I am leading up to here is that since retirement, I am observing my 43 years of "wedded bliss" from the perspective of the oddities of experiences that ring true during this season of life.
Or at Hobby Lobby

Brian Crane, creator of the cartoon, Pickles, has the knack of captivating the humorous side of older adult married life.
Needless to say, I am a Pickles fan.  I see myself in Opal.  Crane has a way of carrying us past our short comings and move us to satisfied living.
  You will just have to Google and read those comics for your selves.


Without bohemians, the world would be a complete bore. 
THE OPAL RING
To celebrate our commitment we opted out of the traditional proposal.  The diamonds took a back seat as we chose a more fragile stone, the opal.  For one thing, it was a more cost-effective route to go on our tight budget.

Not to mention opals are unique.  We chose to celebrate the unique qualities of our love.  We were captivated by the unique beauty.
Matching gold rings
  Later when we got married, we exchanged wedding bands and that was it.  I did not need a huge hole in my man's love pocket.

Wearing an opal is said to bring about loyalty and faithfulness.  It was a  perfect representation of the unique spark and fire of our relationship,  a one-of-a-kind ring.
The opal's colorful history did not let us down.  Due to it's magical glow, opals have been steeped in mystery dating back to the middle ages.
 In Roman history, Caesars gave their wives opals for luck, regarding it as the most precious and powerful gemstone.
Shakespeare famously described the opal as the ‘queen of gems’ and ‘a miracle’.  So all that being said, we decided instead of worrying about the cost of a diamond ring, we'd go ahead and get an opal.
Sadly, our opal was stolen years ago when our home was broken into.
  But, I now have my diamonds.


No comments:

Post a Comment