Powered By Blogger

Sunday, July 22, 2018

ANOTHER SUNDAY IN JULY

peo·ple-watch·ing
noun
noun: people watching;

 "The action or practice of spending time idly observing people in a public place."  Is it people-watching or watching people?
The Book Tent
 Do people still people watch?  Apparently they do because I do.  My tried and true locale, seat in the car has a view of the parking lot, that is perfect for people watching before Sunday services. It's not that I have nothing better to do but...

 You know what? People make for great natural entertainment. There is a certain beauty in watching individuals and is a surprisingly informative activity.  I find it a somewhat fascinating activity.  The busyness of the parking lot has always entertained me.
It gets very interesting.  If a car fits, park it, right?  Trying to squeeze a large in a compact spot can get quite interesting.  You park, get out to assess the situation, do a walk around,  pull up and move over slightly, try to get out and then change your mind and look for a larger space after wife gets out and leaves.  Hope she can find the car latter on.
It was another bright rather hot day so I did not linger too long, however, it was long enough to be entertaining.
It was long enough to watch "the stroller", "the saunterer", "the power walkers", and the Bible carriers.
The first thing I notice is, people wear such interesting things and have special features about them.  Men wearing suits blend in very well with the rest of the crowd.  Others teetering in spike heels, wondering how that is working out for them after reading that "High heels can be a girls best friend."  Really?
There is always a sense of wonder.  I tend to think that maybe most of us are or turn into people watching to pass the time without realizing it.
I began people watching when I was around 10 when my father would leave me in the Jeep to guard it while he went on errands during our monthly excursions into the city.
We sure have a bunch of unusual people and you get the feel of the beauty of GCC.  It is very relaxing and enjoyable to sit in quiet and solitude.  I sit waiting for a magical moment to exit when I hear a tap of the window interrupting my revere.  A friend stops to chat.  Something catches my eye, someones dress is inappropriately tucked up revealing Victoria's Secret.  My friend catches up with her and quietly explains something needs to be corrected.  Shh, don't tell anybody else we noticed and hope nobody else did.
I finally determined that it was time to exit the car and make my way through the various patios, dodging Grace Walk, I turned the corner and headed for the Book Tent, spied a couple friends, stopped to chat and then made my way around the tent in an attempt to capture the perfect angle for a photo. 
I made a couple of other stops before heading to the Sundays In July elective, The Begattitudes with Andrew Curry.  It so happened I had difficulty following the lecture with an Irish accent.  He did mention that all Scripture is God breathed even the genealogies, or the begats focusing on Gen.25, with the sons of Keturah.
God had a real concern for the nations through out Scripture.  Well there is much more to say about this but in a week, the message will be available on line.
The highlight of my Sunday on this day in July was seeing and chatting with various friends I have known through out the 43 years of attending GCC and chatting with someone new in Spanish.




No comments:

Post a Comment