Powered By Blogger

Monday, May 28, 2018

SERENDIPIDOUS MOMENTS

Time has a way of grabbing you. Some of the best effects in my life have been the result of serendipity.
Through the years, I have learned of the sufficiency of Christ and the cross.
Knowing the God of ALL ages has made every moment a serendipidous wonder, yes a wonder to what else life holds for me next and a wonder that he even cares for me.
I am not 50 anymore, or 60, but rapidly approaching 70, but God does not go by age.  The reality is, I've had more miles behind me than ahead of me on this earth, however, it turns out that my years are based on God's purpose in those years--and my willingness to walk those miles for his purpose.  I used to think of "the best years" more or less existed either in the past or some in unattainable future dreams and life yet to come.

Hunter S. Thompson said it better than I ever could: “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!”  To God be the glory.
I am finding that life is still bombarding me with lessons.  You never know when family and friends you thought would be there forever will be or are gone.  You always believe that your children will out live you.

"Time is my most valuable asset. I only get so much, and that is it. I can’t horde it. I can’t get it back. I can’t turn back the clock. The best I can do is to start investing my time wisely."  ~Anon quote but slightly edited by me.
Comfort is overrated. Most of my life's growth points have taken place at the edges of comfort zones, those times when my security and comfort have been challenged.
The cool thing about life's serendipitous moments is that they come through other people.
Just the other day one of those moments was cause for temporary wonder and amusement.
Instead of walking up the stairs to the next floor, I chose to use the elevator.  The elevator was taking longer than its usual time as I waited impatiently.  I had taken a brief break from the meeting I was attending and did not want to miss more than I had to.
  Once the elevator arrived, its jam-packed passengers began to disembark. I backed away to give them room not expecting it to be filled on a Saturday but everyone was dressed like Sunday.  They were all ladies headed for a luncheon or tea.  One lady greeted me by name, leaving me to wonder if I knew her or she me and where would I have met her as I had no clue who she was and how she knew my name.  I pondered on that fact all the way to the next floor, headed back to the meeting and then it dawned on me that I had my name tag on.
If you have experienced serendipitous moments in life events, you know how powerful such an experience can have.
If you have a grand toddler, then you may have experienced many such micro events.  When a grand calls airplanes, hairplanes and volcanoes, canos, and your other grand adds Whoa to his repertoire and don't see a horse, then serendipity occurs.
 So many times we go on with our days experiencing these moments but hardly take the time to later reflect on the feeling these moments gave.
Every time I meet someone and then later that someone has become an important someone in my life, I think on first serendipitous moments of that friendship.
The point of noticing, tracking and posting those stumbled upon moments as I found myself doing last Saturday turned an ordinary part of my day into that serendipity moment instead of just letting them pass by. 
 SERENDIPITY, what a wonderful word!
 "It’s the unanticipated discovery of something very pleasant, the happy accident, the valuable thing that you stumble upon when you’re looking for something completely different."

I love that word, those moments for its surprise, the discovery while doing something totally unrelated.  You can't plan it.  It sneaks up on you when you're not looking for it.  Those moments do not just come by chance.  The exciting part is that these moments of serendipity will continue to pop up in daily life.  They are all orchestrated by God.

No comments:

Post a Comment