Powered By Blogger

Saturday, July 1, 2017

LOUD YET QUIET

Remember that thought is speech before God.

— Charles H. Spurgeon



 My book and small Bible with the lunch bag remain in the bigger bag as I make myself comfortable for what would later prove to be a very long day.  Sheer exhaustion almost over whelms me as I slink into a comfortable seat next to two ladies. 
The room is exceptionally quiet yet I am surrounded by total strangers.  I close my eyes at the sheer joy of it and wallow in my thoughts and observations and settle down to people watch.
My shoulders begin to sag and ache as time drags on.  The silence is broken by a ringing phone and then the two ladies next to me begin to chat in some foreign language.  Then silence punctuated by an occasional , cough, or sneeze, laughter floating out from the distance of the lobby.
I debate whether to use the restroom and forfeit my seat or just wait.  I finally give in and lose my seat and search for another one.  Seating is at a premium.

A lady walks past me blurry eyed and slightly unkempt clothes as if just drug out of bed.  Another lady follows dressed in 3-inch heels looking very professional followed by a man in flip flops and shorts.

I settle more into my environment.  My shoulders relax and I continue to enjoy the relative quietness.  I rest my head in my hand  elbow on the chair arm and close my eyes not daring to fall asleep lest I should miss something.
The quietness continues, a sort of peacefulness with a hundred of us strangers each encapsulated by our thoughts or cell phones.  The sight is really quite eerie as many are bent over the electronic devices.  The lady in front of me is intently pouring over a game.
The room resembles a flock of sheep grazing on books, magazines, newspapers, iPhones, and iPads.  So many enamored with their phones and  as if frozen in time.
We continue to wait.  The pace has slowed down.
Then I sense a slight restlessness as chatting increases although in subdued  tones and murmers.
I gaze at the floor to ceiling windows with a view of pines and other trees all in a row, casting shadows on some of the buildings.
In the distance on the flag pole, I see the flags swaying in the slight breeze.
The silence is again broken as a group is called, each by name.
The silence resumes.  My eyes periodically get heavy as the room temperature rises. 
I surprise myself at the many thoughts that have sailed through my mind through out that day during this quiet time of waiting.  I am thankful for all the Scripture I have memorized in my youth.  Not that I have been dragging them out of my mind all day but here and there.
If thoughts could shout they were, loud but silent.

 "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. ..."  Phil.4:8





 



No comments:

Post a Comment