Powered By Blogger

Friday, February 3, 2017

BEFORE STROLLER & DIAPER DAYS

Long before we were burdened by strollers and diaper bags, we traveled blissfully on modest adventures for five years, from Los Angeles to New York and Washington DC. and points in-between.
1980

We traveled by car, van, plane, and train.  One most memorable trip took us by train to Chicago with the ultimate destination, Urbana, Illinois. Budget constraints forbid us  the luxury of a sleeper.
I settled into my self-entitled seat and soon attempted to make my pregnant five foot, three inch frame self comfortable.
1980


1980
  It was December.
  The train rocked back and forth whining and groaning.  As I finally settled into the rhythmic bumping over tracks, semi rocking, I continue to settle into a more comfortable position.
I drop my head and slip into a semi sleep only to immediately wake up again mentally taking note of the inability to sleep while six months pregnant with my first child on a train.
Proud Parents ~ July 1980

The heat of the compartment and motion again work its attempted sleep spell again and I doze off.  As we hurtle through the darkness across the plains and swaying from side to side, I continue to struggle to maintain some comfort.  I fall asleep.
The jolt of the train in the early morning hours woke me up with a start.
 The train began to slow down immediately and came to a sudden halt. All movement ceased.
I tried to peer into the pitch black out the window. Everybody’s eyes were looking confused sensing something had just gone wrong.  Several men were walking up and down the track on both sides of the train. The train had collided into a vehicle stalled on the tracks.
 We stood silent what seemed hours. The car lost its heat and we were freezing. Finally the train lurched forward again and it started to heat up.

This memory often comes to mind when I think about the earlier years with our first born. 
AMY ~ 6 mo.
Months before the above story, we were seriously beginning to wonder whether God would bless us with such a gift.  We were pleasantly surprised after five years that God would be so gracious to give us this daughter.
One Year


MEMORABLE TRAVEL MOMENT CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment