Powered By Blogger

Thursday, December 6, 2012

MARRIAGE MY TOUGHEST MINISTRY

Marriage has been one of my toughest of ministries that I have ever undertaken.  Little did I know 37 years ago that it would prove most challenging of all.       
 It is a good thing, I suppose, that attraction comes when we are young and naive (or old & senile), good looking, and energetic because it is a 24-hour-a-day, 7-days-a-week commitment.   "The challenge in NOT TO KEEP on loving THE PERSON WE THOUGHT, we were marrying, but to love the person WE DID marry."--Whithead.                          Staying married has involved many spiritual disciplines and deaths to expectations and to many dreams I had.  It has meant death in my use of time and energies as I would see please, and death to my right to have things my way.  I often have to ask God for more grace and more righteous thoughts to comfort my disparaging and frustrating attempts to honor.  Although stress and pressure remain a reality it draws me more toward a deeper dependence upon God.  As life continues to manifest unpredictable behavior, hectic schedules, and many life choices there will always be the one who with a persistent and seemingly "designed to wear you down"---times that mandate an ATTITUDE CHECK.   And yes, there have come thoughts of walking away and contrary to feelings, I have pleaded with God to help redirect and re-focus on His goals when life has disappointed.     
So..

"If you want to be free to SERVE Jesus, there's no question--stay single.  Marriage takes a lot of time!   But if you want to become more like Jesus, I can't imagine any better thing to do than to get married.  Being married forces you to face some character issues you'd never have to face other wise."--Gary Thomas

1 comment:

  1. Love the quote about marriage being a tool to make you face character issues in yourself. There is nothing like it. I also love the 2 photos of you guys! Love you both!

    ReplyDelete