Powered By Blogger

Thursday, November 1, 2012

everybody has a Story: Thriving Part 6

The long drive way at Brush College Acres with cherry and plum trees.  The back yard was like a park and I spent many hours out in that woods.  Most of those trees in this picture were part of that woods.  It had poison oak, learned to recognize it and avoid it.

My middle school picture.             
   After a tumultuous transition into the American culture, I was fortunate to attend a Christian high school for two years and school was kinder to me although I still felt a sense of relief at stepping off that school bus at the end of the day.  Walking up that long long driveway gave me time to decompress.           I continued to do poorly in most subjects.  P.E., Home Economics, Typing, Spanish, and English saved my GPA so I could eventually graduate.   I took classes seriously but with great effort, still could not capture those illusive higher scores.  My brother, being 13 months younger,and I were in  the same Science and Math classes.  With his help I passed those classes.                      I was unusually slow in physical development, extraordinarily thin and thought myself to be unattractive which led to many insecurities.  However, I did continue to have the stability of a caring and influential grandmother and my spiritual life thrived.  We attended the Salem Christian & Missionary Alliance Church.  I continued to avoid many of my peers, preferring to join my grandparents in their activities and Sunday School class.   Although, God's Word had always been a part of my life, it continued to provide the anchor to my somewhat chaotic emotions and insecurities.

No comments:

Post a Comment