Powered By Blogger

Sunday, May 27, 2012

CHANGES: WHAT DOES IT FEEL LIKE TO HAVE ALZHEIMER'S?

"...the devastation of losing self-confidence, parts of the old independent personality, memory,pride as I became a care receiver instead of a care giver, and the ability to control some of my physical functions.  The worst personal loss was the spiritual change that came to me....Perhaps the first spiritual change I noticed was FEAR.  I have never really known fear before.  At night when it is total blackness, these absurd fears come.  The comforting memories can't be reached.  The mind-sustaining Bible verses are gone.  The old emotions are gone as new, uncontrolled, fearful emotions sweep in to replace them.  The sweetness of prayer and the gentle comfort of the Holy Spirit are gone.   I am alone in the blackness.."  As I completed reading MY JOURNEY INTO ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE by Robert Davis, needless to say, I was moved to tears and regret that I had and have not been as patient with those whom I have cared for.  When one does not and can't feel the love of God because of a malfunctioning brain then I can understand now why TOUCH IS SO IMPORTANT  in our care for them.  What more can I say.  I very highly recommend this book.  It will totally change your perspective.


No comments:

Post a Comment