Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, May 25, 2022

LOSSES

 At the top of my fb page is a section asking "What's on your mind?"

Well today I will take that to heart as what's on my mind and heart.

It's been 72 years and plus.  No it is not my birthday, yet, but when you are my age, we have accumulated many losses.

The house that was & is no more

“When things are falling apart, they may actually be falling into place.”

In a recent conversation with a friend as we were discussing how rapid the days were becoming, we laughed as we reminded each other of this quote, “Life is like toilet paper.  As you get to the end of the roll, it rolls faster.”

We hear how tired we are.  

We remind each other of days of crazy adventures.

We remind each other of adventures that   soothe the soul.

We remind each other of family and friends who have travelled with us through losses.  Some of us have been through a lot, together or alone.

The house is gone

The fluidity of life continues with change and with it comes loss.  Some of those losses go unobserved, hidden, forgotten while others are monumental.  They may be crippling or life turns out differently but for the best and to strengthen.  Change in essence is loss.

Imagine this scene:  You're 120 years old, you've just climbed a mountain and given an overview of the land before you, a land that you lost because of extraneous events that were not adhered too.  Can you imagine the heaviness of that loss of not being able to enter into the promised land.

The gate that is no more

Same gate that is no more

So let's stop running past ourselves for a moment and consider some of the layers of losses in our lives with the consideration of not allowing them to temporarily harden our hearts.

Losses are a "big" thing when they happen whether they really are a "big" thing or not, however, as time progresses, it's the "bigger" losses that impact us the most.

A guest in my story

Recalling some of my life losses:

>Losing three babies to miscarriage.

>Loss of my only son.

>Loved ones separated.

>Home away from home.

>Separation from loved ones.

>People are always coming in and out of your life.

>The never knowing when people are gonna coming’s in and out of your life so did not really make many new friendships and establish relationships with them.

>Moving with not much of a notice.

>Not being able to say proper goodbyes was a re occurring event.

>Hidden Loses, and health loses.

>My first experience of loss was leaving the safe environment of my mothers womb were all my needs were met.

>In thinking of loss, death is what usually first comes to mind or permanent separation from God if one has not invited Christ into their hearts.

HELP!  I've fallen & I can't get up.


But what of all the losses along my journey in life?

>Losses hurt.  I struggled as my parents were absorbed in their missionary ministry.

>The loss of leaving family and friends behind.

>Loss of really getting to know grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and other family members.


>Loss of favorite foods, family keepsakes, familiar furniture.  >Smell of flowers, food, familiar places, street markets.  

>The anticipation of the new in many cases that what was left behind was shoved aside.

>Loss of Youth.



Many loses are small we rarely consider them until forced to acknowledge them.

>Loss of patience while care giving.

>Loss of patience with a spouse or child.

>Loss of hair.

>Loss of energy & strength.


Tangible and intangible losses. Losses are endless.  I clung to the fact and promises of God to always be present in my life.

I clung to familiar hymns.  In college during some dark days of losses, I hijacked a practicing music student and coerced them into playing familiar hymns for me in the music practice building.

I clung to other familiar passages of comfort.  And you know what, God attended to my supplication and, yes, I made it through some of the most difficult times in my life. (Ps.86)


“It is the Lord; let Him do what seems good to Him” (1 Samuel 3:18).  

Can you imagine what it must of felt to leave Samuel at the temple and only visit occasionally to provide him with a set of new clothes.  Can you imagine not being able to see your son every day and watch many milestones.

I've been following these two chairs on my neighborhood strolls for several years now.  I often wonder how long til I will no longer see them.  Every once in a while, I see them facing a different direction or moved around this front yard.  Obviously, they are not intended to sit on and have obviously faced loses of use and repurposed for ornamental value.

I have been observing many changes in my neighborhood as I take my morning stroll.  I was disappointed at the loss of one of my favorite houses, I had walked by for so many years.  Yes, gone, the whole house tore down.  I do have the memories in photos I took.

The loses are many and I won't bore you with anymore neighborhood loses.

However, I'm thinking how selfish we are in the losses because we often focus on what we will be missing instead of rejoicing in that they are with Jesus.

Sometimes you just gotta snuggle the loses away.



“THE MEMORIES of what has been lost can surface at any time. A smell, familiar gesture, a movie scene, a song, and even a packing box can bring an onslaught of emotions.”

~Kara Githens 

Your loses really do say something about you.






No comments:

Post a Comment