Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, February 7, 2018

HOW TO GET RID OF UNWANTED THOUGHTS

Take Every Thought Captive.
 My thoughts on thoughts:
Have you ever thought of your thoughts? I have far too many thoughts rattling around in my head.
 I'm constantly trying to gather those thoughts, to corral those galloping thoughts, before they  
have bolted and are racing off towards "imaginations" or something "against the knowledge of God". How do I get rid of those unwanted thoughts? My thoughts provoke anxiety at every turn. How many of those thoughts are constructive?

 According to the Laboratory of Neuro Imaging at USC, the average person has about 48.6 thoughts per minute. It has been estimated that an average brain has anywhere from

25,000 to 50,000+ thoughts a day and 70% to 80% of them are believed to be negative.
It has been recorded in some research, 98% of them are exactly the same as the day before.  I find that interesting! 
Those negative thoughts can be very draining.

Roger Sterling once said, "I’ll never get used to the fact that most of the time it looks like you’re doing nothing." 

 Isn't it ironic that sometimes after wildly galloping thoughts, a mind can go blank.


I would like to think of myself as unworldly.
 I would like to give the portrayal of a heavenly-minded person. But, I am so easily preoccupied with earthly things, with earthly thoughts.
My less spiritual thoughts include painful memories of the past, worrisome thoughts of the present and the future.
 My more spiritually mind is to keep my mind on Jesus and on good things, like it says in

 Philippians 4:8:
"Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things."

I am often tortured by my own unwanted thoughts, sort of like a mental movie of bad scenes.  I cause myself much anxiety at allowing such thoughts.  God, myself and the Devil are constantly in thought debates and gymnastics.  I am constantly casting out what is not of God and keeping the ones that are his.

II Corinthians 10:5 say, "Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ."
Meditate On these things...

I have far to many thoughts rattling around in my brain and when they pile up I find that writing them down is a good exercise.  It forces me to focus on the present moment.
I am profoundly relieved that no one can read my mind to discover my less-than-admirable thoughts.  Yet I am very well aware that God knows everything, even those thoughts.

 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways, says the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts "(Isaiah 55:8,9).


I am finding that focusing on the moment, the present, I have better control of my thoughts.  While focusing on the present my thoughts make sense in a different way.
As I see it thought issues are hindered by not knowing, not wanting to know or "believing what the word of God says about them, their life or about situations that they face." 

Romans 12:2  "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will."
 

Remember:   Isaiah 26:3
 "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee."
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment