Powered By Blogger

Thursday, January 25, 2018

EPIC ADVENTURE ON THE SEVENTH FLOOR

From my care givers log, June 3 through August 28, 2002.


"If you can't please man then try to please The Lord." 
It was shortly after noon time as I emerged from my home, headed for my care giving assignment at Fickett towers. The sun was high, the day began to get hot as I made my way in a hot air condition less car, a 1972 Plymouth gold Duster.  It was to be one of those very hot, smoggy Southern California days.
 A steady stream of cars was a reminder of my busy day ahead. Upon my arrival, I quickly made my way to the seventh floor, after being buzzed in, waiting for the elevator where several of us had migrated to await our departure to various floors, I finally arrived at my floor.

 The view was spectacular. It paid homage to Sherman Way and other interesting buildings. From the 7th floor, I was able to view, the parking below, and small figures walking about to their various destinations, to the grocery store and food venues near by, lending to easy access for those who did not drive.
Fickett Tower
 I had just taken a position as home health care provider as a favor for a good friend. It proved to be my most humbling, most challenging, most difficult three months of experience I have ever had in my Care Giving adventures, a care giving paradox. This woman was in her 90's, very petite, somewhat frail, with Adrian Monk the detective type tendencies of OCD, with a very strong will, and disregard for treating her help well.
   She constantly lectured on cleanliness and godliness, followed me around as I worked, constantly offering her expertise.
  One day she said to me, "Honestly, Becky, Where did you learn to clean?"  I spent my days fluffing and plumping up pillows and thick-like down comforters and avoiding her white satin sofa.  One day "we" washed ALL the artificial flowers and there were many.
   I learned the difference between yams and sweet potatoes and introduced to organic grown foods and how to cook CARE GIVING STEW.  (Stephanie Stew)



Care Giving Stew
One day at not being able to meet her expectations of cleanliness and after three times taking dishes out of the cupboards demanding that I re-wash them, I was reminded of a statement I had heard once, "If you can't please man then try to please The Lord."
    So I cried out to God in my frustration, He would answer and she would dismiss me curtly to leave the apt. or do something else.
  She would constantly remind me that I was her maid, her housekeeper and her servant in a deeming way and in a way I was, a servant, God's servant.

  One day she told me:  "Never hire a missionary to work for you.  They are lazy.  They just sit at their desks on the field and write letters asking for money."
  There were many days, I left close to tears.
 For two weeks, I was banned from using her bathroom and had to go down 7 floors down to use the lobby restrooms after she posted a sign "Off Limits",
 Each laundry day prompted a lecture of the "fine" arts of laundering and dragging it to the laundry room 7 floors down.
      One day after I had furiously cleaned her small apt.,  she commented on HOW TIRED WE WERE because of all the work WE had done.  The ironic thing about all this cleaning was that when I left each day the bottom of my feet were always black.
How Can You Rejoice Today?
  I was not allowed to wear shoes and often went bare footed.   I had my own chair that I was expected to use if I had to sit down.
  She often told stories and one of them was about her apt. catching fire.    The carpets must not of been cleaned well after that.   Mystery solve to the black feet.  After expending such energy to clean and maintain that bathroom, the maintenance men traipsed through to repair the water heater much to her consternation.
     One day I was to drag out 3 large carpets that the Tibetan monks had made for her while she was in Nepal.   I vacuumed them and place them around in preparation for  visitors she was expecting the following week.

  She shared, how horrifying it was to see the Tibetan children using her curtains and table clothes to wipe their noses on as everyone in Nepal had constant running noses.
   However, the highlights of some of those working days were listening to stories as well as reading Scriptures upon request.   We read the whole book of Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, and other passages.    She frequently referred to the Scriptures as "PRECIOUS AND UN PERISHABLE". 
Sometimes, you just have to close your eyes, give a sigh, and let it go.

 After three months my Saga with Stephanie ended with enormous relief.  I had originally planned to stay 6 months at this position, however, it was becoming more difficult to please her.  She was unhappy with me and she wanted to find someone else who could "do better than me".
I then gave two weeks notice and when that dead line came, she begged me to stay on but I had another position I was to begin.
  Her parting words were bitter.   "Becky" she said "You are very proud and proud full."    A long silence prevailed, I bit my tongue, tears welled up.  I had just devoted 3 months of my life in the most humbling experiences with all energies.

 I quickly, gathered the trash bags and my belonging and one last time walked out that door toward the rubbish chute. I shoved it down that chute with vengeance, listened for the faint thump as it landed 7 stories into the dumpster below and proceeded briskly to the elevator. I pushed that button one last time, waited for it to arrive, and then down the 7 flights, out the door to my car.

   Close to tears yet with a great sigh of relief, I started the car and headed for home.  I was never so grateful to be greeted by my own messy kitchen.
I have driven past that edifice many times only to be reminded of my seventh floor humbling experiences.
So my dear Christian caregivers, the challenges and heartaches
of care-giving are always present, but the blessings are
there also. How can you rejoice in this day?"

 

No comments:

Post a Comment