Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

MEMORABLE TRAVEL MOMENTS 1981 Mistaken Identity

My most memorable travel moments have been the least planned. 
We were anticipating an uneventful trip.  We had made this trip many times.
Having left Redding below after a brief stop to eat, we began the slow descent up through the mountains.
  The movement of the van had lulled my toddler to sleep as we cruised along, the solitary winding stretch of the road had given way to darkness.  The headlights followed the endless ribbon of the lines ahead.
We had left home early that morning and I was beginning to feel the weariness of pregnancy.
My young husband loved to travel at night and I was missing much of the loveliness and joys of day travel.
I had just begun to settle into the gentle swaying and my eye lids were heavy.  I glanced at my silent husband as it appeared that we were now traveling much slower for some time.

He did not offer any explanation and I silently withdrew any questions.  At the next wide spot on the highway, he pulled over.
As soon as we pulled over, spot lights were shown on us from every direction and my husband was directed to step out of the van with instructions following for the passenger, me.
We were mistaken for participants in an event back in Redding with our vehicle description.
After determining we were not involved, we continued on our way a little shaken.
I huddled in the front seat cold and shaking, begging my husband to turn up the heat.  It took over an hour to gain my composure.



I was so thankful that my toddler had slept through this unpleasant turn of events as flashlights searched inside. 

They say travel while your young, experience adventure because when you get older, life seems to just sort of happen. But the most memorable moments are those that appear to just happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment