Powered By Blogger

Saturday, August 1, 2015

MY LADY: Care Giving With MUSIC

Care giving is like classical music.

Now why would I tend to think that?

I am quite musically challenged and can not read music, let alone pronounce the titles to some. I am still not to fond of classical music, however, during those five years, I gained more of an appreciation for it and those who play an instrument or sing.
Prior to care giving of My Lady, I knew very little about classical music.( I am listening to classical music as I write this) I am drawn to memories of those five years that I cared for My Lady.
She was an avid musician and could recognize a piece of music within seconds of hearing the beginning of a piece.
  We used to play this little game of which I would play ,from a CD, a piece and see how fast she could tell me what it was. (At first & middle stages of AD)

She played the piano almost to the end, albeit, with “mistakes” that became more frequent as the disease advanced.

It gave her much joy and when these little episodes of mistakes occurred, she would cheerfully declare that she just needed to practice more.

Ponchielli: La Gioconda-Dance of the Hours is a long song of almost 8 min. with ups & downs, and loudness to soft and smacks of carnival music that I believe truly expresses my care giving journey.    This piece was used in Disney’s Fantasia, one of my favorites.

The Opera’s title translates as THE HAPPY WOMAN, but is usually given in English as THE BALLAD SINGER.  The story revolves around a woman, Gioconda, who loves her mother in the 17th century.
  Well, I won’t go into the rest of the story.  Just Google it if you are interested.

My goal for this post is to encourage you to explore music with your Loved Ones.  Make it part of your care routine.  Use it creatively to motivate your Loved One into action on some particular activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment