Powered By Blogger

Friday, July 24, 2015

Alzheimer's? You're Asking Me?

I was recently asked to consider writing a “corner” of vignettes for our Alzheimer’s Support newsletter at church.  The goal being to draw upon my nine years of Alzheimer’s care giving experiences.
My first inclination was to decline, however, as my thoughts drifted toward the journeys, and adventures I have had and what blessings they have been, I thought it best to reconsider.
I have blogged about many of these adventures in past blogs, however, I will attempt somehow to invite you to read between the lines so to speak and perhaps give you more of a picture of the drama and challenges that may occur behind the care giving journey.
I have also been considering as to the content, drawing from my experiences and observations, and repetitive questions (Not from Loved Ones) raised during our support meetings.
This will be a challenge to me because it will require me to decide on what would be most helpful to my audience.  Some of them will be on the practical side of care giving and little helps here and there as to making it a little easier and perhaps touching on some behavior issues.
As my thoughts continued to sift through as to what my first blog (I guess this is my first blog) on this particular topic would be, I was considering which specific part of care giving is on my top priority list for today.
I came up again with the topic of walking, running a race and preparing for it.
Care giving is not a sprint either.  It IS a marathon!  It IS a relay race!A mistake in care giving is the tendency to jump into the race after a few calls from the emergency room or a diagnosis and get caught in emotional drama.
“It is wise to pace your-self--ASK FOR HELP,  and look at the big picture and make short and long-range plans.”
Once you have reached out attempt to accept that help.  You have no idea how it will all work out.  Time and time again I have observed those who are too proud to ask or accept help or advice that would make things simpler for them, sending one to the burn out zone or denying a blessing to those who have time to devote to your family.  And yes, I have been turned down many times too.
So it looks like as I just randomly pull my thoughts together, the first focus is on ones attitude and drama that one will face, and the family will face it sooner or later.
When the five minute terror of that diagnosis hits you that your loved one has Alzheimer's, YOU WILL NEED SUPPORT!

The word SUPPORT denotes the idea to “bear the weight of especially below, keep from falling, sinking or slipping, give confidence and comfort”.
Putting it bluntly, the care giver can have more issues with the family than the actual loved one has in some cases.  I fortunately have had care giving positions for very loving and appreciative families in the past, for which I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment