Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

CHILDHOOD MEMORIES: DOLLS

My memories of first grade and early childhood have been reduced to isolated, random moments.
This post is dedicated to my precious three so far grand daughters.  
First Grade, age 6

I loved dolls, and I loved to provide them with clothes.  Although by State side standards, I did not have very many and only once had two at once.
Mother once told me that when I was a toddler, my doll was left on a bus we had been traveling on and had just disembarked.  I often wondered what kind of home that doll found.
I do not recall receiving the two dolls shown in the pictures when I was six.  I was boarding with a family that had three boys at the time but spent much time playing with my three school mates that were sisters.
She Looked Like This

When I was around eight or nine, I was given a 36" doll.   We all thought she was awesome!  I could put my hands on her shoulders and make her walk.  She had long hair that I enjoyed combing.  But the best thing about her was her blue eyes with lush eyelashes that opened and closed when you tipped her and her dress was absolutely gorgeous!  All of us girls were enamored by her including all the little Mexican children around.
Her awesomeness was short lived.
1959, We may have gotten these dolls from Grandma Wedgwood

To my horror one day when we got out of classes, I found her with her eyes poked in and turned around and she stayed that way forever.  I do not recall what ever became of her and I do not recall giving her a name.  Someone had gotten into the girls dormitory room while we were in school.
 I fondly remember my doll "Judy".  My sister had one similar to her.  She had a plastic molded head/hair in a pony tail with a hole in it so I could pull a ribbon through it to dress her up.
I had Judy for a long time as she traveled with me to the States, mold and all because the weather was so humid.  Mold prevailed if things were not properly stored, alas Judy had a bad case of mold that we could not clean off, however,
Judy was the most well dressed because it was about this time that I got interested in sewing.  I made Judy many clothes.
When my mother saw how much time I spent making those outfits for Judy she said it was a waste of time and that I should be sewing clothes for myself.
She sent me up the hill to a lady who was a seamstress.  I had to walk through a cornfield just to get there.  There in her cottage-like house with a dirt floor sat an old treadle sewing machine on which I learned to sew.
This seamstress was so talented, you could just show her a picture of a clothing item from the Sears or J C Penney catalog
and she could make it.  I believe I was around 10 or 11 when these lessons occurred.
I still continued to sew clothes for the dolls out of the scraps from the sewing lessons.
 When I was introduced to Barbie and Ken, I was in clothes making heaven and let my imagination go wild.
My First Barbie looked just like this

Fast forward in time, my first daughter was doing the same thing with the myriad of dolls in the girls collection.  I am smiling at recalling this.  
You just gotta love girls.



No comments:

Post a Comment