Powered By Blogger

Friday, November 28, 2014

A Common Thread

The Center From A Cross-stitch Table Cloth


The other day I went looking for my sewing box to begin a hemming project that I have been putting off.  I found it in a box with some table cloths and table scarfs that I had embroidered years ago.
It brought back a lot of memories and the hours I spent at embroidery and the challenges of keeping the underside all going one way.
The Under side










One of my all time favorite poems came to mind, Grant Colfax Tullar's poem, The Master Weaver's Plan, 1893.

However, just tweaking it a bit:
My life is like embroidery between
My Lord and me.
I try to choose the
                                                the colors but He
  

                                           worketh steadily with
                                                what he chooses.

                                                In foolish pride
                                                I just see the underside
                                                while He see the upper.
                                               
"My life is but a weaving
Between the Lord and me;
I may not choose the colors–
He knows what they should be.
For He can view the pattern
Upon the upper side
While I can see it only
On this, the under side.
Sometimes He weaves in sorrow,
Which seems so strange to me;
But I will trust His judgment
And work on faithfully.
‘Tis He who fills the shuttle,
And He knows what is best;
So I shall weave in earnest,
And leave to Him the rest.
Not ’til the loom is silent
And the shuttles cease to fly
Shall God unroll the canvas
And explain the reason why.
The dark threads are as needed
In the Weaver’s skillful hand
As the threads of gold and silver
In the pattern He has planned."

 Something, I recently read:
" Many times through the years I have looked up to my Heavenly Father and said, “Father, what are You doing?” He has answered, “I am embroidering your life.” I say, “But it looks like a mess to me. It seems so jumbled. The threads seem so dark. Why can’t they all be bright?”

What ever the master embroiderer may have for me, he knows best.  I do not understand the needle pricks or the colors he has chosen.
The passage of time reveals more of what he has embroidered into my life and helps in trusting him.
God's wisdom far exceeds mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment