Powered By Blogger

Saturday, September 20, 2014

My Father's Folder: LOREN'S STORY

The House That Pop Built
LOREN’S STORY  (From his paper archives.)

It was the beginning of WW II, the older members of the A.W. Ediger family were finding their own way in life.
First, for the boys there was the inevitable draft registration and the waiting to be called into military service.
I had enrolled at Simpson Bible College, Richard took advantage of rising wages in the logging and lumber industry.  Jamie felt a tug to get in the defense industry and the Bremerton shipyards.
Jamie also became active in the C & M A youth group.  He took advantage of any opportunity to get home to Dallas for even a short time.  On one occasion he brought several friends including Betty Wedgwood, a vivacious young lady who was a member of the youth group.  I was home from school at the time, and though not particularly attracted to any one of the girls, I was impressed by the spiritual tone of the entire group of young people.
Upon graduation from Bible College in 1943, I was led into various short-term ministries including summer camps, Vacation Bible school and pastor of a small church. 
During this time I had kept up with the happenings in the Bremerton C & M A church and especially the young people.  To my surprise, I found out that Betty Wedgwood had enrolled at Simpson Bible College.  I wanted to know more about that girl who my brother had brought to Dallas that summer week-end. 
Betty was very devoted to her studies at Simpson and only on rare occasions was I able to see her on weed-ends when she came home across the Sound from Seattle.  I took every opportunity to come up and “see my brother”.  We corresponded frequently and two summer vacations Betty spent in Vacation Bible School.  One school was held at Silverton, Ore., C & M A church.  What a thrill would be mine to go on “business” to Silverton during those days.
At that time I became aware of her musical abilities.  Would this young lady be the one the Lord had chosen to be my companion and co-laborer in His work?

Sometimes God uses an individuals heritage in the unfolding of His plans.  His Word says that He knew us before the foundation of the world.
Grandparents Ediger, Warkentine, and Dick-Fehr were staunch Mennonites who migrated from south Russia as children with their parents.  The church among the Mennonite communities was a closely knit family of believers ruled by elders who were the spiritual leaders.
My grandfather Solomon S. Ediger was an elder and founder of the Evangelical Mennote Brethern church of Dallas, Oregon.  My grand uncle on my mother’s side, Isaac Dyck was the founder of the Polk Station General Conference Mennonite church.
Grandfather Solomon Ediger was a man of excellence in all he undertook.  In the early 1920’s he felt led to leave the Mennonite church, which at that time had some problems with its leadership.  Grandpa then helped found the Dallas C & M A church.
I remember on of his sermons on Noah and the flood.  This was the first impression I received that the world was lost and without Christ. 
I did not become a singer, but at the age of four, I sang a solo.  My parents, having placed me on a table in the home where services were held and had me sing:
    “Throw a line, Throw a line.
     Help the perishing to shore.
     While the breakers loudly roar.
     He will save them, everyone.
     If we help them from their death.”

No comments:

Post a Comment