Powered By Blogger

Sunday, June 15, 2014

My Mother's Note Book

What treasures I have been finding.  My father handed me a note book to look at one day.
It was a note book that my mother had written many poems, and quotes she had come upon.
I really did not know my mother very well as I had spent much time in boarding schools and then when I was thirteen went to live with my grandparents.
I had to share her when I was just 13 months as by then my brother came along.
I regret not making more of an effort to nourish the relationship so finding this note book gave me some insight as to her relationship with the Lord and what was important to her at the time of the entries.
I also encountered a rough copy of some family history titled "Grandma Remembers" dedicated to her 6 children in which she gives a historical account of her life.  She began these accounts at the age of 70 and wished to continue them before her memory faded to be read to any as of yet unborn grandchildren and beyond.
 Well anyway, back to Mothers note book.  I thought it very interesting that I like my mother and before internet wrote out many poems,quotes and misc. just like she had.  It gave me a little more of an understanding of where her heart was during the times of those note book entries, struggling with perhaps many of life's issues as I in the present and needing encouragement from its composers.
Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to an all-knowing God
These entries have been  both interesting and encouragingly good reads that I will attempt to share some.
The first entry quoted from Orin L. Crain.   

SLOW ME DOWN, LORD

"Slow me down, Lord!  Ease the pounding of my heart by the quieting of my mind. Steady my harried pace with a vision of the eternal reach of time. Give me, amidst the confusions of my day, the calmness of the everlasting hills.
Break the tensions of my nerves with the soothing music of the sighing streams that live in my memory. Help me to know the magical restoring power of sleep.
Teach me the art Of taking minute vacations of slowing down to look at a flower; To chat with an old friend or to make a new one; To pat a stray dog, To watch a spider build a web; To smile at a child; Or to read a few lines from a good book.
Remind me each day that the race is not always to the swift; that there is more to life than increasing its speed. Let me look upward into the branches of the towering oak and know that it grew slowly and well.
Slow me down, Lord, And inspire me to send my roots deep Into the soil of life’s enduring values That I may grow toward the stars Of my great destiny.
~~~ Orin L Crain

My Mother in 1948


 

No comments:

Post a Comment