Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 7, 2014

Behind THAT door



DOORS

Tonight, I have been thinking of doors.  Yes, you heard it right, doors.  Perhaps it is because we really need a new back door and doors are important.
Well, then one thought led another as I recalled an incident from my childhood and then from a story out of The Little House On The Prairie book.


When I was about eight or so, our family was building a new adobe house up on the mountain side in the outbacks of Mexico.  The house was not quite finished when we moved in and our steel bunk bed and a crib were set up on the dirt floor in what would later become the living room.  There was no door and my father had propped up some planks to act as a temporary door, however, it allowed enough space for a wild dog to enter scaring us to death one early morning.  It sent me scrambling up to the top bunk to join my brother, leaving my baby sister screaming in the crib.  Then I remember us all screaming until my father came to chase it out.

"Laura Ingalls Wilder tells a similar story in “Little House on the Prairie” as she described their home-in-progress on the plains of Kansas. The cabin was complete, except for the door. Her mother hung a quilt over the opening, and in the meantime all that stood between the vast prairie and the Ingalls family was their watchdog and Pa Ingalls’ gun. Laura writes of a night where the howl of a wolf woke her from her sleep, and she quickly realized that as her father and their dog stood guard in the open doorway, a pack of wolves had entirely surrounded the little cabin. They dared not come near so long as Pa stood guard, but it was glaringly obvious they had come for a meal. Needless to say, the very next day, Pa finished “two stout doors;”one for the house and one for the stable."
So then I got to thinking how important doors are as I close,open, lock them before I leave, before I sleep to ensure the safety of everything and everyone.

So then I got to thinking how do I  ensure the safety of my body,soul, and mind.
What kind of doors am I  leaving open

I find doors very interesting.  There are many kinds and one never knows what one will find for certain.

"As you place your hand on the doorknob to enter a room do you ever stop to think about what you might encounter on the other side of that door? What will you find or experience as you step over the threshold? Anytime we are about to walk into a room what waits for us on the other side of the door may be an expected scene or perhaps something so surprising and unanticipated that it may change our life or the life of someone else! As caregivers, regardless of whether we are caring for someone in our home, a nursing home, hospital or hospice, we probably experience these moments of not knowing what to expect each and every time we walk through the door to extend care for our patient or loved one. Learning ways to cope with what often times is unexpected is an important aspect of care giving."
The above excerpt from some random place rings out much truth because in life so much is unpredictable and every time I go through a door to work may yield pleasant surprises or challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment