Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Reflections: On Stress


This month being Stress Awareness month has had me reflecting on the stressors in life as well as its consequences.
Although the Scriptures don't specifically use the word stress, it does help me deal with those stressors in my life

.
The dictionary defines stress as "physical, mental, or emotional strain or tension."  Stress takes a toll on us to varying degrees as I became very familiar with about six weeks ago.  "God has created us and knows that, because of our fallen natures, we can sometimes allow stress to rule our lives."
I find my self questioning what could be contributing to the stressors in my life.
  Could it be that I am not trusting God to provide? 
Could it be that I have become anxious and worrisome?
 Am I being consumed by maintaining a life style that was not meant for me at this season in my life?
Am I being disobedient and sinful that it has cut me off from peace and joy?
Am I lifting all things to God in prayer?
Am I filling my mind with His Word?
Is the stress I am feeling indicating an area of my life where my flesh is still on the throne?
I have found that one of the ways to counteract those stressors is to thank God for His countless blessings in my life.   "Count your blessings, name them one by one, and it will surprise you what the Lord has done."
The world's way of relieving stress is through alcohol or drugs, or mindless entertainment and other ways which in itself are not necessarily detrimental to our lives.
Matthew 6:25,27
"Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life,what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on.  Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?  And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?"  Classic example of why we get stressed out.
John 14:1
"Let not your hearts be troubled.  Believe in God; believe also in me."    A life with out God makes coping with stress impossible.
Proverbs 3:5-6
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding…"
Philippians 4:6-7  "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication…"   Turn everything over to Him.
Psalm 55:22
"Cast all your cares on Him because He will sustain us…"  He will sustain us through burdens and circumstances.
 

1 comment:

  1. Very good things to think about and questions to ask one's self.

    ReplyDelete