Powered By Blogger

Monday, March 24, 2014

Relections & Ruminations On Cultivating JOY


Here, I sit, again reflecting on the Joys of my life journey.  It was about ten years ago that I decided to assign cultivatingjoy2 as my e-mail address, little knowing how it would morph from there.
I had already chosen, the word "cultivating" as my life word because in that one word is the best reminder to put some effort into cultivating many aspects of my life such as JOY which also happens to be my middle given name.

Having finally approached Spring and observing its many facets, I ask myself, "If my life was like a garden.  What would I be doing to sustain my life?"   Imagine the care and nourishment needed to thrive.  Just like plants we also need sustaining qualities to cultivate what pleases God and sustains us in life.
What sustaining qualities?  Nourishing soil-light-sun-air-water-adequate weeding and pruning.  Cultivate what pleases God as it will sustain life.
Cultivating JOY, has been a focus in my life, not that I have reached the top, but find myself many times over failing to focus on this fruit.
What have been some of the things that steal that focus in my life?  I have found that the following have been the joy stealers in my life at some point or another.

>Selfishness and preoccupation with self.
>Setting own pleasures and relentless pursuit of personal
   pleasures.
>Craving more, a desire for bigger & better things.
>Ungratefulness and an unforgiving attitude.
>Watching TV and its enormous powers to form our desires and
   affections.  Ads can cultivate the insatiable desire for the new,
   improved,bigger, and better.
>Hanging out primarily with bitter people.
> Leafing through advertisements and mail
  order catalogs.
>Not getting enough fresh air and exercise.
>A diet rich in sugar,fats,salt that contribute to sadness and
   depression.
>Attitudes and perspectives affected by self-centered ideas and
  whatever is going on around us.
>Staying away from opportunities to interact with and care for
  children.  Children see the world differently than we do.
>Not choosing to be joyful and ignoring the Scriptures, ignoring
   God, and prayerlessness.

Choosing Joy is one of those life long projects.  What kind of journey are you on? What direction is it taking you?  Are you moving in the direction toward joy?

Other ways I have cultivated JOY:
Focusing on relationship with God.
Focusing on God's transforming work in others.
Noticing and drawing pleasure in what God is doing.
Serving those He sends us.
Meditating on God's Word.
Pondering God's grace and salvation.
Sharing JOY's with others.
Singing and listening to music.
Turning to the Lord first in every need and talking to Him about every difficulty.
Consulting Him about every step.
Doing something out of the ordinary.
Reflect on the way you begin your day.

I challenge you to recommit to JOY and cultivate JOY in everyday life.
Nourish it by planting good seed(ponder & meditate on Scripture).  Get plenty of sunshine (daily worship & prayer,spending time with God)  Psalm 16:11 reminds us that in God's presence is all fulness of joy.
Spend a lot of time  around encouraging and joyful people.
Weed  and prune often.  We are urged in Phil.4:8 to focus our thinking on what is true, honorable, just, and pure.
Enjoy the beauty.  Make it your priority to cultivate JOY.

2 comments:

  1. "Joy is the measure of spiritual strength." --John MacArthur

    ReplyDelete
  2. "In my experience, nothing
    worthwhile has ever been all
    that easy. But it certainly has
    been worthwhile regardless
    how difficult it seemed."--Robert Fanney

    ReplyDelete