Powered By Blogger

Monday, November 26, 2012

Reflections on Patience..Because I need it! NOW!I

Ok, I am going to get into trouble with myself because I have need of this fruit.  I am revisiting something I wrote several years ago but must remind myself again.  I am again amazed at the role "PATIENCE" SHOULD HAVE in our lives.  How impatient I can be while waiting for someone who is taking longer than should be, whether it is yielding to God or someone who is causing my heart to break.  I am impressed with William Barclay's statement that "Generally speaking the word is not used of patience in the regard to things or events but in regards to people."   Oh, how easy it is for me to get caught up in impatience and anxious attitudes.  After all it is my sinful nature.  Showing PATIENCE has been an everyday struggle, yet I am called to "put on a heart of...PATIENCE" Col 3:12 and "to WALK...WITH PATIENCE" Eph.4:1,2.   God grant me the strength to overcome these tendencies.   Help me to learn to use these times to pray, to reflect and to plan my response in a godly manner.   Help me to make choices that honor Him and His Word.  How heavily, I must rely on that Word of strength and make every effort to follow through on what God would have me do.   I marvel at how unique we are in our thought process and in our way of handling life's  situations yet if we allow sin to settle in our hearts it affects us all in the same way.  And here, I go rambling on about such inconsistencies  in my own life.  Sometimes I feel so overwhelmed and frustrated by what I can not do instead of what I can do.  Another look at THAT Proverbs 31 woman and I throw up my hands in almost despair "Lord" I say "I am overwhelmed and I can't do this on my own".   God then gently reminds of Ps.46:10, "Be still (Quiet!, Time Out!, STOP-striving"), and KNOW THAT I AM GOD!  I remind myself "Yes, Lord, you are firmly in control when all else indicates otherwise.   I struggle with occasions of discouragement yet God has promised strength, Phil.4:13.  In my efforts to fight complacency may I dissolve any appearance of "self-sufficient" attitudes.  The Christian life is NOT PASSIVE!  Yet, Yes, I struggle with the EASY WAY OUT if I can find it.   And I would prefer it but...    WHY does the growth I thought that occurred seem to vanish like vapor?  WHY do I desire relief from God's discipline instead of seeking to profit from it?  WHY do I fail to respond to difficulties in a GOD-HONORING WAY?      I PRAY that I would pour my spiritual energies into what is true fruit.  I PRAY that I will not become complacent; now is not the time or will it ever be!   MAY WE NEVER have the attitude that WE HAVE ARRIVED and so feel because of our age that there is no more room for growth.   I PRAY that I would not lose my sensitivity to what is sin, to tolerate it or even accept it! OUCH!   So in light of all the above said, may we all grow in the direction of being more concerned for God's glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment