Powered By Blogger

Friday, June 8, 2018

SPRINGING FORWARD, LOOKING BACK~1967

I graduated high school 51 years ago. It was 1967.
  I was almost eighteen as the journey known as senior year was over. 
 It's incredible to think about how different life is now than it was then.
High school was such a turning point in life.  It's especially interesting to see how much has happened since then and how I matured over those 51 years.

As time passed, as those years distanced, it was clear to see how immature those years were, however, I did not just leave something behind when I graduated, I took something with me. 
I gained much advice from teachers and those things not taught in textbooks was learned through life's little events.
There are really no aspects of that season of life I truly miss other than the beauty of Oregon and life closer to nature.
  I was very awkward at relationships and was too busy not creating waves for my host family who had graciously opened up their home to me in Springfield Oregon.
Springfield High was one of the first high schools in Springfield.

  A notable alumni, Kenneth Elton Kesey,  an American novelist, essayist, and counter cultural figure of the 60s authored the book "One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest" which I thought was very interesting.  No, I think it is interesting that he was an alumni, not the book which I have never read as the reviews cautions one big Parental Advisory with many references to unsavory topics of which I wish to guard my mind.
Another notable alumni is Eric Millegan, an actor on Bones.  He is known for his role as Dr. Zack Addy.  I will admit here that I do enjoy watching Bones.
The high school years were followed by a year at Lane Community in Eugene.  That year prepared me with the prerequisite foundations of my continuing education at MU in Portland.  My father was very wise in advising me on taking them. 
We all go through stages of life that mold our futures.
So in asking myself to "Describe something or an event that has made me who I am today." 

Friends who became family since 1975
My mind scrambles through a bunch of events that have happened in my life, realizing that there really were many things that changed me, even the littlest things that I may have not thought of.
Friends since 1974, Mrs. Stewart
  So in answering my own question there is no ONE chapter in my life to describe that something that has shaped my life.
Friends since our kids were in elementary school

Does it matter? Will it matter?
 Stuff does not make you happy.  Stuff may give pleasure, but pleasure fades.
What are the best and the most important things in life?
Friends since 1983

Reflecting on the past is good for learning but best if left behind.
It takes time to get wisdom.  A big lesson learned being that life is too short to be exchanged by triviality.
I’ve been blessed to have great mentors, teachers, family, friends, that taught me about life.
Some newer friends

Life is better now from a spiritual perspective.  Life is better now from the friendships I've formed. 
We've all heard the line, "Friends come and go."  There is nothing like high school that highlights that line after graduation and sad to say, the friendships I had forged at that time have long been gone.
But that has been okay because every person that has walked into my life has contributed to teaching me about life.
Then there is the joy of meeting someone wonderful and you wonder where they have been all your life.

  Well that's just the wonderful thing about friendships, there are many, they are excited about spiritual things, and spontaneous. 

I now find that I tend to prioritize the
Wisdom Friends
people in my life who I value the most.

I have been spending every Friday with my toddler grandson.
  What I learn from him is how he appears to enjoy life more intensely than most adults do. 
My three-year-old grand daughter often gets lost in some creative project, drawing, coloring.  She is an avid puzzle and sticker fan.
  As life's puzzle pieces fall into place I gain a wider perspective as to what God is trying to do in my life.

I bet it never crossed your mind to think a short 5'3" girl like me could hurdle and I was a pretty fast runner.  Life is still full of hurdles and sprints waiting to shape the rest of my life.
I have found that the most profound impact on my life has been a teachable spirit.




No comments:

Post a Comment