Powered By Blogger

Saturday, September 9, 2017

A WEEK END TO REMEMBER


The wild flowers in full bloom along the boardwalk 

Everyone needs a week end away! 

A week or a week end away was one of my ultimate desires.
I was about to embark on one of my most exciting week ends in a long time.  I was beside myself with anticipation at the very thought.
Fresh air & beautiful view

This would be no ordinary get away.  It was a special girls get away created by a dear friend.  Sometimes we all need a break from the every day of life that so appears to burden us no matter the reasons.
drift wood, cliffs


Wild Flowers draped over the cliff

We had been talking about this for a year but waiting for the special day to arrive seemed only a dream at the beginning.
One day a special invitation arrived. I opened it with trembling hands. It was accompanied by a video of our intended destination.

 

 I opened it to discover the beauty of our not so secret place to enjoy.   With vivid imagination, the vision of the Mission Impossible resounded in my head:
  "Good morning, Mr. Phelps.  Your mission Jim should you decide to accept it... "  Yes, Yes, and Yes, hope this CD will not self-destruct as I watch it again and take in the beauty of the spot we would be going to.
"As always, should you or any of your I.M. Force be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions.  This disc will self-destruct in 10 sec.  Good luck Jim."
Early morning casting shadows

So as the time drew near to actually implement my Mission to make it possible to go, made planning relentless.

 Arranging a week end off was no small task.  I was exhausted by the time I left to collapse in the back seat of my ride to enjoy the trip up to Cambria.
Flowers and shops

  Those routines that provide the structure to the day and provide assurance that everything that needs to be done gets done, are not easily explained to someone who does not do them on a daily basis and can hardly order his own life. 
It was enough to throw it all in the wind which I partially did.  Today you get hamburgers at Burger King, tomorrow get pizza, and if there is pizza left more pizza and there is Panda Express.  Past experiences have left all planned menus out the window.  My care giver for the week end is cooking challenged
  To write down instructions.   
 To have this week end off, I needed to cast out of my mind the endless possibilities for problems to arise etc.  I was not confident in leaving my father with my husband as his care giver.  My natural, lazy tendencies were telling me to abandon it all as I encourage myself to go for it.
 One thing popped into my mind when thinking about how good the week end was. It was planned far enough in advance to allow for the scheduling needed so that it could actually happen.
Goofing off with friends

It was helpful to make a commitment to that week end and to make the commitment to another person so that the motivation to follow through would be there.
Shopping in the quaint little shops

  It surprised me that I was ambivalent
 about going as the day approached.  I was apprehensive about being away for the week end.  Yet the wild side of me was giddy with the anticipation of just walking, shopping, and talking and being encouraged with these friends.
A colorful bunch of Get A Way Friends

What made this the ultimate get away for me was, that I did not have to plan it, I did not have to think for someone else, I did not have to cook, I did not have to drive, and there was no cell service at the hotel, and I had never been to Cambria before.
That the week end went well encouraged me to do it again some time in the future.  It took lots of planning, but it was worth the effort.
 Each of us ladies shared intimate details of our lives and faith journeys.
It’s amazing the new things you can learn about women you might have known about for quite a while!
Treasure from the beach

No morning was complete without a stroll down Moonstone Beach and the boardwalk.  The view was breathtaking.  I spent time searching for  moonstones and watching the sea lions basking in the sun.
Early morning walk on the boardwalk overlooking Moonstone Beach
This breathtaking beach offers quite an experience.

A tree arches over Moonstone Beach Boardwalk
It was a very relaxing getaway and blessing to be around other Ladies who have the same spiritual goals.

So thankful to God who delights in showering us with His love and using these other ladies to encourage me.


 








No comments:

Post a Comment