Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL ~1955

 
FIRST DAYS OF SCHOOL~1955
  As a six-year-old, blond-haired, I started on a 22-hour trip, to Tantoyuca with my father, to school, in our Willys Jeep.  This was in September when Hurricanes Hilda and Janet were causing havoc along the Gulf Coast of the Republic of Mexico.  Flooded rivers delayed our travels and my father left me with another missionary family to continue that trip to my first day of school. 60th-anniversary-of-hurricane-hilda
The other families were stranded in Tampico unable to continue also. About six weeks later, I arrived via American Air Force or Coast Guard helicopter/ airplane (unclear as to which story you want to believe.) to our destination.
  There were no telephones and the telegraph lines were down. 
 We landed in a "cow-pasture" airstrip with no one to meet us.  My first day of school began in October, in a one-room school with five other students with a teacher we grew to love.   I did not see my parents again until the Christmas break.
OUR ONE-ROOM CLASS WITH MISS TIMMERMAN

FIRST GRADE~TANTOYUCA, VERACRUZ

No comments:

Post a Comment