Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

MY PLACE ON THE EARTH

From the first time I heard this song, I found it incredibly inspirational.  It has been a profound reminder that God has been with me through out my life journey.  He has never forsaken me.  He has not rejected me one second in my 67 years.  He has gone before me and has been the "guardian of my heart".  It often brings tears to my eyes.A PLACE ON THE EARTH click here.
Ninth Grade, US


Second grade
Eight Grade, last year in Mexico
First Grade in Tantoyuca
Second Grade
As a hen gathers her chicks so did Miss T
Class Picture, Necaxa, lake in the background
First Grade in Tantoyuca
Last day of school in Necaxa, Abraham Lincoln Play
 Find me a place on the earth
Where a weary man can rest
And listen for your voice
In the turning seasons

A quiet place in the world
Where I can bow
And confess that I fear
Where you have brought me,
Mysterious God

 Find me a place on the earth
Where a weary man can rest
And listen for your voice
In the turning seasons

A quiet place in the world
Where I can bow
And confess that I fear
Where you have brought me,
Mysterious God

All of my life
You have been with me
My comfort in loneliness
My hope in the dark
All of my life
Lord, please stay with me
Be my sustaining breath
Guardian of my heart

My days are passing by
Like falling stars
That blaze across the night sky
Then they are gone

But Father, at your side
I will never be afraid
For you have held all my days
In the palm of your hand

All of my life
You have been with me
My comfort in loneliness
My hope in the dark
All of my life
Lord, please stay with me
Be my sustaining breath
Guardian of my heart

All of my life
You have been with me
My comfort in loneliness
My hope in the dark
All of my life
Lord, please stay with me
Be my sustaining breath
Guardian of my heart

Be my sustaining breath
Guardian of my heart

Be my sustaining breath
Be my sustaining breath
Be my sustaining breath


All of my life
You have been with me
My comfort in loneliness
My hope in the dark
All of my life
Lord, please stay with me
Be my sustaining breath
Guardian of my heart

My days are passing by
Like falling stars
That blaze across the night sky
Then they are gone

But Father, at your side
I will never be afraid
For you have held all my days
In the palm of your hand

All of my life
You have been with me
My comfort in loneliness
My hope in the dark
All of my life
Lord, please stay with me
Be my sustaining breath
Guardian of my heart

All of my life
You have been with me
My comfort in loneliness
My hope in the dark
All of my life
Lord, please stay with me
Be my sustaining breath
Guardian of my heart

Be my sustaining breath
Guardian of my heart

Be my sustaining breath
Be my sustaining breath

Be my sustaining breath

From the beginning, I am reminded of the provisions of God in my life,  From the moment I was thrust into an "isolated" "independent" situation at first grade.
I will attempt to take this opportunity to post from the bowels of my memory, to remind myself of what brought me to this point in time and factors that led me to home school my own children.  I remember very little of my first year away from home at the tender age of six and a horrified mother at finding lice in my blonde, curly locks.  I found my solice in being alone and still relish times alone.  The closest description to my living arrangement would be a  missionary type of "foster" home in Tantoyuca which included three boys that first year.
1961 Huauchinango School with Smiths with our book bags

I must confess that I was not comfortable handing my own children over to others for the majority of their day for education.
I wanted to continue the parent-child relationship that I had developed since birth.  I just could not see a reason to end this just because they reached  compulsory school age.

I am sure that my mother and father talked and prayed, and struggled over the best course of my education just as I did for my own children.
 My years during Mexico days proved to be full of short term solutions and many changes along the way.  By second grade (1956-1957) the family with the most students went on furlough so my parents hosted the "foster" home, in our home in Cuautempan, with two extra boys and the teacher moved in with us.  Her one room served as living quarters and school room for 4 of us.  This was my brother's first year of school. 
 This year proved to be one of the happiest for all of us, however one of the boys, my classmates accidentally drowned in the bath tub two years later.  This profoundly affected me and prompted me to pursue more spiritual things.

Third grade found the school moving again to Necaxa,a semi permanent place. Our teacher followed us and Dad and Mother were the foster/houseparents for the first semester and the Massons, the second semester.  The school year was so arranged that we had two terms of four months each, from the middle of December, and from February through May.  This allowed for two vacation periods of two months each when we could return home.
We were the generation that grew up under the Calvert Correspondence curriculum but administered by our faithful teacher Miss T.  It was under her mentoring that kept the glue together in my life. 
Miss T. spent her vacation time visiting the various mission posts to understand more of the individuals missionary's needs.  Then to better explain to us school children the prayer needs of each family. During the constant change of environment and passing off the house parenting duties to others by parents who each had their own set of living rules and own set of children, I often found myself in trouble and taking solice on my lower bunk, reading or out under the trees in the orange grove.  I learned to insulate myself and took comfort in the memory verses  we
were required to memorize and reading my Bible.  What a profound  impact it had on me when one day I was sent to my bunk for discipline with instructions to read I John 3 with special attention to verse 15 "Anyone who hates a brother or sister is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life residing in him."
On the way to school-Huauchi

In Necaxa a christian lady, Mrs. Andrade offered her country/orange ranch home to use while our large cinder-block more permanent compound was completed.  It was situated with a view of a lake and had plenty of woodsy space. (Where one day I took what looked like a short cut home and got hopelessly lost.)   It was located amongst a citrus orchard and the climate was not in the hot land and not in the high  mountains chllly.  It was located in this beautiful rural area close to one of the main highways.  It was approximately in the center of the fields where the missionaries are located.
`````````````````````````````````` Our day would begin at 6:30.  We were expected to be ready for breakfast and have our beds made by 7 a.m.  At the table we participated in devotions in Spanish.
After breakfast there were chores, including practicing on the folding organ. (not me).
Classes began at 8:30 a.m. with a chorus, Bible reading, and prayer.
Once a week we sang patriotic songs and the flag salute.
Twelve o'clock to one was lunch hour.  When school continued after lunch, there was story time (usually some children's classic read out loud) and Scripture memorization.  Just before the end of the day, 3 pm., we had another short period of Bible reading and prayer.
After school there was play time (oh joy to run outside under the orange trees and maybe a hike down to the lake), homework time, eating dinner and then another Bible Study time with the house parents.  They used Dr. Harlin J. Roper's Course, "Through The Bible".
Our day ended at 7:30 and we were expected to be in our bunks. 
````````````````````````````````````

1959 found me in fourth grade, in Dallas Oregon with 28 other students, my first experience in public school.  Very ironic that I also do not remember much of that year.  We lived in a somewhat old ramshackle house with an old apple tree out front and one of my jobs was to pick up old rotten apples off the ground. 
Fifth grade back to Mexico and school in Necaxa (1959-1960) with the same school teacher but different houseparents (The Shirks)
1960 Sixth grade back with my parents in Cuautempan with my mother home schooling.  It was one of the best of times.  The teacher went on furlough.
Seventh grade, 1961, the school moved to Huauchinango (Wow-chee-nahn-go) as several missionary families left for other ministries and 3 of us Ediger kids were invited to stay with the Smiths, my sixth set of temporary house parents. 
My sister began her home away from home here.  I studied the usual seventh grade subjects plus Art History as prescribed by the correspondence course.
Eight grade again found us with a set of different house parents in Huauchinango with twelve of us students, four of us in eight grade with the same teacher.  This year was the highlight of all my years of schooling in Mexico.  There was four of us in eight grade and the house parents were seasoned parents and understood young teens.
8th grade class~ graduation 1963
Graduation day dress, As part of our parting activities, was to embroider daisies on the skirt

A big graduation followed and we all went our separate ways.  That was the last of my Mexico days as I knew them.  I did visit one summer later.
The following year, ninth grade, was a rude awakening.

(The transition into public middle school was brutal.  I was ridiculed and bullied; my brother began having horrendous migraines)  

WHEN HE PUTTETH FORTH HIS OWN SHEEP, HE GOETH BEFORE THEM.  ~John 10:4 
The whole student body singing "How Great Thou Art" and "The Tempest Is Raging", Commencement Address by Rev. William Hueston
Miss T ~2016



 

No comments:

Post a Comment