Powered By Blogger

Monday, December 14, 2015

WHAT IS THAT SMELL? Reflections from journal entry 1972


Paul wrote, "But thanks be to God who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and who makes known through us the fragrance that consists of the knowledge of him in every place" (II Corinthians 2:14 NET).

The Campus Chapel
Moffatt translates (II Cor.2: 14), "Wherever I go, thank God, He makes my life a constant pageant of triumph in Christ." We are trophies of the victorious grace of God."

"When we have been around Christ we begin to smell like Him." 

First entry for the month of March 1972
It began with a notation of II Cor.2:14 and mundane ramblings of a Tupperware party I hosted and making Russian Tea Cakes.
 But what really caught my attention was reflections of a first encounter with the book of Ecclesiastes.  I had just concluded a study, whether for a class study or on my own I do not recall, however, it made a deep impression on me.  It should be required by all college students to study this book.
I noted this in my journal:
"The books aim, to show that all earthly goals and blessings when pursued as ends in themselves lead to dissatisfaction and emptiness.  The highest good in life is revering God and obeying God, and enjoying life while one can.  The last verse sums up the whole book, that God is IN CONTROL.
One of the hardest things for me to realize that God is IN CONTROL of everything and no matter what I do to gain what I want, can be taken away no matter and circumstances can change, etc.
The foundation of life is the fear of God.  I'm finding that I don't know what God demands of me in everyday life unless I read the Word of God.  I am realizing more and more that my daily life shows or corresponds with how much I've been reading in God's Word.
If I make the service of God my supreme end, then my desires will be such as God can fulfill in answer to my prayers.  So much I am learning by just reading the Scriptures.  If it wasn't for God and his wonderful Word, I don't know where I would be."  (my 22-yr.-old self)
And bringing that down to the practical, I still found myself trying to control and take back the relinquishing of my right to marriage.  Although not as strong, I still found myself dreaming about a future with that certain young man and trouble with letting go some of the emotions and feelings that still lingered on so strongly, although randomly and few and far between as time marched along.
My Twenty-Two-Year-Self

Isaiah 58:11 (NIV)

11 The Lord will guide you always;
    he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land
    and will strengthen your frame.
You will be like a well-watered garden,
    like a spring whose waters never fail.

darkest-days-of-my-life CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment