Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, September 26, 2018

A MORNING WITHOUT COFFEE

“Everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.” – Sylvia Plath


For lack of anything profound to blog about, good afternoon, my readers.  How are you this fine warm day?
They tell me writers block is just an excuse.  Sometimes I find myself staring at the monitor and key board hoping for inspiration.  In some ways blogging is a scary thing.  What will people think of me?  But, hey, what's the worst that can happen?
Another month, another week, another day, another hour in this broken world and body.  Evidence of a broken world is all around me. 
This morning, the inevitable, another doctor visit.

  Yes, I took my journal with me this time but the time went by so rapidly, I thought maybe I had been to In-N-Out which ironically is down the street from the doctors office, or through the car wash.
The adult blood pressure cuff was you might say wouldn't work so the nurse used the child cuff.  So just saying, amusing myself, is that why my B/P was lower?
  Or was it because I denied myself the usual morning cup of Joe. 
Shh, don't tell the doctor but your B/P increases the measurement by 5 to 10 after drinking coffee. You know, they get kind of excited when your B/P is high.


I was not considering the stimulating controversy of whether to quit drinking it or notIn the age of Starbucks, the dispute and tempest in the coffee pot could be grounds for serious debate. 
 But when it comes to every day brewed coffee, I think McDonald's is just as good, and actually prefer the lighter taste. 
I can't stand coffee from Starbucks and prefer not to drink Church coffee.
Now, don't get me wrong not all church coffee is mediocre.  The coffee shops or nooks have stepped it up a bit.
You've got to understand that I grew up in an era of no fancy coffee.  My father drank his black.  My mother drank hers with sugar.  Dad was a kind of farm coffee person.  The coffee had a little bit of grit in the bottom.  The kind that makes your hair stand up on end.
  The only creamer available was adding a little bit of the detested powered milk that all of us detested.  But you got to understand, we lived in the boonies where even the children drank coffee.  Coffee was used to dip our bolillos.  
In spite of the international fame of Mexican sweet bread, which we loved, the bolillo, a close relative to the french baguette, was a popular plain white hard crusty bread with a soft but sometimes hard interior.

 Coffee is one of Mexico's lucrative exports.
Coffee berry fruit
  Small farmers and their families relied on the crop for their economic survival in those days.

I recall many romps through coffee groves, snacking on the berry like fruit they produced, spitting out the coffee bean. 
Coffee Beans drying in the sun.  Dad in background
Yes, I believe, writers block is an excuse as I began this blog, it just seemed to evolve as my fingers on the keys went faster and faster.  I am so grateful for those typing classes in high school even though I got chewed out for chewing gum during class.
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment