Powered By Blogger

Saturday, August 11, 2018

2. MEMORIES ARE MADE OF THIS


 20 "For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. 
21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles." ~Romans 1:20-23


I couldn't seem to get beyond the first chapter in my reading of Romans this morning without thinking of my recent six day adventure to the Pacific Northwest.


Those six days stare back at me.  I felt a boundless optimism as we drove away from the airport.  Although, I am no stranger to the area, I am still awed at every visit.
 
Evidence of God's footprints surrounded me.
  I was reminded of the journey we take with creation as we wait expectantly for our future redemption.

I couldn't help but think how God takes a personal interest in making sure each one of us has some knowledge of Him through what he has made.
God has made it evident that the grand purpose of all this beauty is to focus on his invisible attributes and his divine nature (love-power-wisdom-patience)
How clearly we see and understand certain attributes by the effects of nature.
  I will refrain from mentioning them by their long "omni" theological terms.
I was clearly reminded of this on our first morning as I awoke with expectancy of an early morning walk down to the dock to view the lake, only to find as I opened the door that there was no dock in view.
  The entire lake was engulfed in fog. 
Later, while having breakfast and coffee on the veranda,
I watched as the fog moved out of the picture at a pace of slow moving honey to again reveal the lake I had seen the night before.

As John Keats once said, "Nothing becomes real 'til' it is experienced."

My photos speak more than words and make it possible to speak and express my thoughts.
  Sometimes I find something visible that I have missed.  Other times there is no words to express.  I remain speechless.
 

Memories leave me breathless at times and leaves a mind full of awe some new memories and starry thoughts of the pleasure God must have had in creating all that beauty.

Reviewing past moments gives me a new appreciation for finding peace in the present and benefiting from the past.
  I didn't let the beauty surrounding me take away the pleasures I felt and enjoyed.
The idyllic scene took my breath away as we turned into the long drive way of what would be our ambiance of a bed and breakfast stay.

 The lake appeared like magic.  It was lined with what appeared to be cedar trees.

When through the woods and forest glades I wander
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;
When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur
And hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze;
Then sings my soul, my Saviour God to Thee; How great Thou art!
How great Thou art! Then sings my soul, my Saviour God to Thee;
How great Thou art! How great Thou art!


If there is such a thing as re-memories, I find myself with a heart of thankfulness.  They give me a chance to relive the good moments. 
Writing gives good exercise of the mind as well as gratefulness to those who helped make it possible to spend the six day getaway in such an idyllic setting.
Taking in the scenery alone is an activity.  It did not disappoint.
Walking along the catwalk to the dock is an experience in itself.  The creaking sounds, the gingerly walk, the side to side movement, the sway, way to much for my comfort.
  The bounce of the dock as someone comes to join you.
How can one not be interested when captivated in such delightful surroundings?  The water lapped gently against the dock and catwalk.  They were surrounded by hundreds of water lilies and their pads.  I catch sight of a blue dragon fly flitting about. 
Off to the side is a fallen log making for a fascinating photo.
Pausing at the end of the dock, the water shone like a million little, sparkly diamonds as the sun hit the surface, covered by a blanket of blue sky.
  On other days the lake was flat with trees casting colorful shadows across the shoreline.
The sereneness of the moment gave me the escape I needed, an escape from some of the stressors of my life.
I could not help but soak in all the colors and tranquility.
  Across the lake, I noticed cozy houses with reflections adding to the splendor.
  I wish I could bottle up that feeling of peacefulness, however, I can't, so I will comfort myself with its memory.  I took many such treasured moments of silence and peace.  I took photos, stared and admired, and took more photos. 
What the locals call "weeds", the water lilies and the blackberry bushes, I found fascinating.
  They contributed to the ambiance of my surroundings.  I was not disappointed.


Dock magic, docks and fishing alone are your best friend.
  That experience really can be magical if it's someone else.
  The small prizes yielded don't compare with the time and patience invested.

Maps have taken a whole new turn.  The magic of turn-by-turn spoken directions, sometimes the suggested best turn, turns into  ammmm, somewhere else.

That little map icon on the iphone is an open door to enriching life adventures.  I am not an experienced user but they can lead to unexpected side trips which we call scenic routes.
I recently enjoyed driving by Ohio Avenue in Bremerton where my mother lived when she was young.
My grandfather worked in the near by shipyards.  My mother worked their also for two years. The same 1917 built house they lived in with the high school near by where my mother graduated adds to the quaintness of the older part of town close to the water and shipyards where we took a tour of the Puget Sound Navy Museum.
Due to the unintended length of this post, I will have to continue on to create a new one.
  Hopefully, I can get beyond that first chapter in Romans later on today.

 

t's great to reminisce about good memories of my past. It was enjoyable when it was today. So learning to enjoy today has two benefits: it gives me happiness right now, and it becomes a good memory later. George Foreman
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/george_foreman_613399?src=t_memories
t's great to reminisce about good memories of my past. It was enjoyable when it was today. So learning to enjoy today has two benefits: it gives me happiness right now, and it becomes a good memory later. George Foreman
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/george_foreman_613399?src=t_memories

No comments:

Post a Comment