Powered By Blogger

Thursday, August 9, 2018

1. MEMORIES ARE MADE OF THIS

The View From Above
GETTING THERE IS HALF THE FUN.

Our six-day get away was much needed and full of rewards.  It proved to be time away from all the home responsibilities, a worthy break, a time to relax and enjoy the treasures of the Pacific Northwest.
With my senses intact, a bit frazzled from preparations, and a spring in my step, I squeezed my self between two children's car seats for the short ride to the airport.
  Grand daughter on one side and grand son on the other both vying for my attention.  Each one holding a sippy cup of milk and a plastic cup of cherrios.
I was in my orbit of excitement at the anticipation of the trip ahead.  The grandchildren on each side were just as excited to see me.
  My grand daughter leaned toward me and softly said, “Grandma, I love you.”  So endearing, I thought as she reached for my arm from her side hugging it close to her.
My daughter, from the front seat quickly snapped some shots as the grandson blurted out “Coco”.
Now in the quiet of the house, I look back on the unfolding of those moments, those tiny slices of life that pass ever too quickly.
Insanity Selfies
 
After passing through a quick, hassle free TSA security checkpoint at the beginning of our journey, I was in the middle of a really enjoyable moment, just sitting, just beginning to relax some, when my companion, interrupting my thoughts, suggested I give him some lessons on his iPhone.  I slightly annoyed, relented.  We practice taking photos and selfies.


The terminal had few interests as we temporarily settled in other than trekking to the restroom.


After boarding, my companion squeezed into the middle seat and his seat mate was a recent retiree of Boeing.  Needless to say that the next two hours were filled with interesting tales and conversation. 
As a side comment, my companions father worked for Boeing years ago.
 
The return home was an adventure in itself.  The TSA Security checkpoints left little to be desired upon observing the length one had to walk through a serpentine line.  The wait time was horrendous.  The TSA explosives-detection canine and his handler were overseeing the lines.  When the dog got distracted, his handler kept saying, “keep working, keep working”.  The benefits of the pre-sniff allowed us all to keep our shoes on. “These dogs are helping people get expedited screening.” What a blessing!

Our ride is here.
MORE TO LOVE.
Boeing 737.

Airports are rarely short of people.  Fellow travelers are very interesting.  Through powers of observation it is fun to fantasize, play fashion police and judge bad taste in clothing in ones mind.
And if playing mind games is not for you, there is what seems like a shopping mall that just happens to have planes landing outside.
Inside Gate 17, most of our 100+ fellow passengers wait for initial boarding on the Boeing 737.  Some begin to queue up, engaging in that subtle jostling for a better position.  My companion and I remain seated, enjoying those last few moments.  Everyone appears to be anxious except for a few including me.  I do not know why, I have an assigned seat and if my luggage doesn’t fit it gets checked in free.
The two and a half claustrophobic hours on a flying piece of tin, not to mention the half hour ordeal waiting in line to board, not to mention the 30 min in the TSA line, 10 minutes trying to find the right line, and if that experience was not traumatic enough, not to mention the hour plus car ride to the airport.


Our time in the air was well represented by families with young children.


I’m all for families with small children traveling but when the flight attendant goes down the isle offering ear plugs instead of peanuts there is cause for concern.
The moment an approx. 16 month old little person arrived on board, I kid you not, that little person cried loudly for an hour and a half , pausing periodically for a couple of seconds while all the several other little persons napped or played quietly in their seats.


I’m surprised that the flight attendant did not come back down the row offering Tylenol along with the drinks.
The gaze of delight, as I watched from the window, the familiar sights of home from above came into view.  I was in one of those planes that goes over our house as they approach for landing.
My welcome backer, grand daughter ran to greet me with a big hug and was glad I was home, all excited to tell me about her first day of preschool.  I squeezed back into my seat between the two car seats and was soon home.


No comments:

Post a Comment