Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

WHY-BOTHER-AT-ALL?

“For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven and do not return there but water the earth, making it bring forth and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater, so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it." ~Isaiah 55:11


"For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart."  ~Heb.4:12

 

  I have asked myself as to the point of posting my Bible reading exploits.

  Am I reading the Scriptures for the wrong reasons so as to appear pius or to confirm to others that I'm not as messed up as I could be?

 Why go to all that trouble to take one hour out of my day?

  Is there such a thing as insignificant or worthless Bible reading time?

  Do I sit down, read, then close the book, and have no idea what to do with what I've just read?

   What is the point of just reading it because it is what Christians do?

  Am I using it as a platform to argue or prove how wrong you are?

  If I'm not interested in letting God show me areas of my life that need change, why bother?

 Am I saying then don't bother reading the Scriptures?

  "By no means", because it matters what you read.  Your time in the Word will always be profitable.  It will show you're true colors.

 I love to celebrate the delight in reading God's Word.  As I move through life, I find myself moving toward what I love.  Finding myself inclined toward the re-reading of Scripture as in my "Camping Out In Romans" has highly captivated my heart. 

(32 times today, goal 50 or +)
   I have captured the beauty and excellence of God's holiness.  As I set out to explore a range of truths, it has made a difference in just knowing about God and personally knowing God.  That makes a difference.

  If I don't know what pleases God, how am I going to find out?  Where would I find direction in life and how best to serve him if I have not gone to his Word?

  Reading a whole book in one sit down provides a big picture within an even bigger setting.

So why bother at all to read Scripture?  Because, it is highly probable if your desire is toward reading scripture that it will also captivate your heart.


 "Ordinary faithful time spent in God’s word is never for naught. The deposits of scripture that we make in our own life, through personal bible study, will be used by God when we are drawing on the reserves." ~unknown
 As Paige Benton Brown so helpfully says in a talk,   "we are never overdrawn. There will come a day when we have nothing to deposit into the bank account of our mind and hearts. But the word we have deposited over a lifetime will protect us from bankruptcy. The deposits are doing something, even when they are small and we can’t see their outcome."

No comments:

Post a Comment