Powered By Blogger

Saturday, June 23, 2018

2. CAMPING OUT IN ROMANS

 To God be the glory, great things he hath done;

so loved he the world that he gave us his Son,


who yielded his life an atonement for sin,


and opened the life-gate that all may go in.


Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, let the earth hear his voice!
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, let the people rejoice!


O come to the Father through Jesus the Son,
and give him the glory, great things he hath done.



 O perfect redemption, the purchase of blood,
to every believer the promise of God;
the vilest offender who truly believes,
that moment from Jesus a pardon receives.


 Great things he hath taught us, great things he hath done,
and great our rejoicing through Jesus the Son;
but purer, and higher and greater will be
our wonder, our transport, when Jesus we see.~Fanny Crosby




The lyrics to that hymn resound in my head. I am transported back in time when my then three year old cousin struggling within the confines of her little mind would sing at the top of her lungs, "Pwaise the Loyd, Pwaise the Loyd."  I don't recall if she got beyond those words or not but I am transported back to those times when ever I hear or sing that hymn.
Now, you might be saying, "What the heck does all that have to do with camping out in Romans?"
  Many of our old hymns are rich in theology.  The lyrics give us glimpses into theology. I enjoy hymns and songs with rich, theological lyrics as they
 re enforce Scripture.

“In proportion as we are conformed to the spirit of this world, our understanding becomes dull in the things of God, our affections cold and torpid, and our consciences less tender and sensitive.”  ~J.C.Philpot who lived in the 1800's

Now just what is it about this book (Romans) that has me so enthralled?
What has made it stand out?
Extended Grace Project

For one thing, I have a serious problem.  God is holy and He is just, and I am not, and at the end of my life, I will stand before that Just and Holy God, and be judged.
But what makes the gospel "good news" is that it connects me with the "unsearchable riches of Christ."
Think on that!
 Why has this book had such an impact on me when it takes about an hour to read in one sitting?
Why would I take an hour out of my day to read it?  Would you pick up a novel and pick out a sentence from each chapter and try to figure it out?  Probably not, that is why I have been trying to read or listen to audio in full.
  It is proving to be quite an adventure in learning what I thought I have learned but really haven't or have forgotten.  

It is ironic that I have chosen CAMPING OUT IN ROMANS as title for my posts as Paul, the author of Romans was a tent maker by trade.

Reading or listening to Romans in full or big chunks gives me a bigger picture of God's marvelous plan of salvation as well as providing me with a picture of a righteous life lived in the Spirit.
What is so beautiful is that God has extended grace in every past and probable moment of my life and has been at work in my story even before I came along in time.
All this was promised by God beforehand through the prophets, l:2.
In the last two days, I have read the book two times and listened to audio twice.  What a hike!  



No comments:

Post a Comment