Powered By Blogger

Monday, January 15, 2018

WHY WAIT FOR HOSPICE!

"We're all just walking each other home." ~Anon
I have currently been digesting my recent experiences with hospice. Marking each moment in  memory.  I reach the room and look around and think what an amazing provision from the Lord and to think I may have missed the blessings had I not been open to the suggestions offered me at the time.  What was I waiting for?  We are often characterized by waiting to long and availing ourselves of hospice for too short of time.
 The depth of this experience has left a mark upon my heart along with the valuable lessons left behind. 
Each person, each hospice team member represents a tangible expression of a Divine appointment.
Could it be  
that God sends them to us unexpectedly, as ‘Divine Appointments’, as opportunities to share the Gospel?  Although I must admit that at times I've been so exhausted by the cares that the last thing I wanted to do is engage in some long theological chat. ("Be ready in season and out of season." 2 Timothy 4:2)

However, walking the talk may be more beneficial as our actions are on display as how we play out the care giving drama.
Spend time just being there.

Looking back at past experiences in care giving, I am drawn to the fact that there is a hesitancy or tendency to ignore the fact that our loved one could benefit from the services of hospice. 
Perhaps this judgment stems from the misperception that the services are only appropriate in the last hours to days of life.
Spiritual Welfare Check

For others it could be acknowledging that their loved one is in their last days? 
Could it be that so many are lacking in awareness of its benefits?  
Could it be a reluctance to accept the terminal phase of illness?
 Could it be the belief  that all the loved one’s needs are being met, and don't think that hospice care could add anything to the existing care.
Could it be not wanting strangers into the home?
Could it be lack of knowledge of hospice benefits and surmising that they will end life?
Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.  2 Cor.4:16


"All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." Psalm 139:16

Could it be that we are so busy ignoring the fact that the doctors have done all they can and we blindly pursue options that cause more pain and suffering to our loved ones in hopes of extending their lives in continuing misery?
  I am guilty of taking measures to "prolong" life for selfish, earthly desires.  We shadow, we go from one doctor to another in hopes of prolonging that life which only God can do.
Could it be a proud full admission that we are going to do it our way.
Could you have been told through palliative care that they do not qualify yet for transition into hospice?

 Could it be that God is preparing you for an unexpected change you are not willing to take?  God just may be preparing you for future divine appointments with a hospice team. 
Having recently availed myself of  ROZE ROOM 
I have just this past year had a very positive experience with the nine and a half months of palliative care and 45 days on hospice with my father in our home.

My personal advice would be to swallow pride and avail yourself of the services offered and spend more time just being with your loved one. 
“Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you until all the work for the service of the temple of the Lord is finished.” —1 Chronicles 28:20

Last Father/Daughter date at Steeples

No comments:

Post a Comment