Powered By Blogger

Thursday, September 21, 2017

SO YOU ENJOY MUSIC?

My Mother at the old pump organ
Oh, so you enjoy music?
Yeah, I like music.
Do you play?
Yeah, I play music.  I am musically challenged.
Never could make sense of the latticework decorated with large ants.   A chord?, A scale?  What you say, a chord can be broken?  And if you put those two thingies together, it makes the shape of a heart.  The only thing that made sense to me at the time, were the words, and listening to my mother play.
I'd rather be teaching...Taught my first VBS when I was 13 or 14 with the help of my sister.  She inherited most of the music genes.  We are standing in front of one of the pump organs.  Looks like I had been giving an object lesson in this photo.

The only hymn, I ever learned to play was Wonderful Words of Life on the old pump organ, our only key board of that time. I have long forgotten how to play it but vividly recall the refrain to that hymn in both Spanish and English.

 Sing them over again to me,
wonderful words of life;
let me more of their beauty see,
wonderful words of life;
words of life and beauty,
teach me faith and duty:

 
Refrain:
Beautiful words, wonderful words,
wonderful words of life;
Beautiful words, wonderful words,
wonderful words of life.

 
¡Qué bellas son! ¡Qué bellas son!
Bellas palabras de vida
¡Qué bellas son! ¡Qué bellas son!
Bellas palabras de vida

A more promising musician

One day, as my mother attempted to give me another unbearable music lesson, that pump organ was wheezing and squeaking more than usual.
Upon further investigation, to our surprise, a mother mouse had made it her home for her and her babies.
It was not unusual to often see those critters  scurrying around.

No comments:

Post a Comment