Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

A VERY SCARY RIDE

The good doctor had offered us a ride into Mexico City in his car to get supplies to take  back to our remote tribal village. (1960 ish)
His eye is on the sparrow
And I know he watches me.




It started out as another routine trip into the city and I had anticipated yet another trip with my father.  We left my mother and other siblings early in the morning.

 That day we would have taken a truck ride into the nearest larger town and then taken the bus, however, we thought it very fortunate to hitch a ride with the very young intern doctor.  I got so I hated to ride those chicken buses.
Through out the day our travel took us on some incredibly steep and winding roads.  The scenery was spectacular and I sitting in the back seat with my father was totally unaware of it for the most part.
  The Sierra Norte de Puebla, the rainiest in Mexico is an area filled with caves, caverns, and waterfalls which we pretty much left unexplored due to busyness or lack of knowledge that they were there and only known by the locals.
(Googled the area now and I see all the color and places we missed.)
I was excited at the fact that when we got to the city, I would be allowed to choose a comic book or two while Dad chose the Time magazine to catch up on the world news.


The sheer number of mountain roads, paved or not led to many occasions of trusting God for our safety.
On looking back in time, Dad, has often mentioned to me how many times God had protected us through out our lives.
As we continued on our journey that day, we were sailing down a down grade, suddenly out of control on a curve we were ready to plunge off the windy, mountain road, with a ravine below.
Slowly winding and grinding its way up the mountain side one of those crowded chicken buses suddenly appeared at just that moment when it looked like we would go over the edge. 
We slammed into it--broadside, stopping the car from plunging down the mountain side into the ravine below.
The good doctor was more concerned about the legal implications with the other driver than he was with our welfare.
Dad had used his arm to keep me from flying into the front seat and as a result, I bit my tongue quite badly and was bleeding but other than that no one else was hurt.
This Today, but back in the 60's it was just two lane


After a few minutes The doctor was helped to disengage the car from the bus and we were coasting, our way down the mountain side as the car was disabled.
As soon as we reached the bottom, some large doors opened into a large courtyard of either someones hacienda or residence and the car was pushed in, the large doors shut behind us.
1960 ish

We never saw or heard from The Doctor again.
Dad and I took our meager luggage and walked to the bus station.  We took the next bus out to Mexico City.

 God, has protected me far more than I realize when I start reviewing my life and reliving short recalled incidents.  (for future blogs)

UNDER HIS CARE  click here

No comments:

Post a Comment